older horse questions

/ older horse questions #1  

sergeant69

Tractor
troy bilt horse and pony
recently picked up a 1971 horse, double pulley/belts on same shaft. am leaning towards putting on a Honda 8 hp (GX240-TROY 34. description says: ANY OF THE ENGINES AT THIS LINK WILL FIT TROY BILT HORSE TILLERS THAT ARE THE OLDER (2) SPEED UNITS. A 2 SPEED HAS FORWARD AND REVERSE (ONLY) WITH ( NO ) HIGH OR LOW SPEED.

MY horse decals say: REVERSE-NEUTRAL-FORWARD on left side and FAST-FREE WHEEL-SLOW on right side of hood.

so the million $$ question is: do I have a tiller that the above shown engine description will be compatable with? confusing (at least to me).
THANKS for your help!! oh, and why do I want to put on such a hi priced motor when harbor freight has cheapies? because I am planning on using the s&%t out of it AND I had budgeted $2G for a new one and got this one for $99 so I have some wiggle room $$ wise.

/ older horse questions #2  
Does the Honda also only have the single drive shaft? If yes, I would presume they would interchange.

/ older horse questions #3  
The two styles referred to are easy to tell apart. The 2 speed unit has 2 belts on identical pulleys. It also has a lever on the transmission that moves from low to neutral (free wheel) to high. Thus, 2-speed.The more modern unit has a single belt on double pulleys that have different size ratios- thus you can change the speed by moving the belt to the alternate pulleys as well as moving the transmission shifter. That is a 4-speed unit.

How are the axle seals? Is the transmission full of gear lube? It takes 85-90-130 wt. gear lube full to the level of the top pipe plug in the side of the case. You put it in through the hole for the handle bolt in the center of the handle mounting casting.

/ older horse questions
haven't had a chance to get into the thing yet so don't know about gear lube level. any further suggestions/infor. appreciated. thanks

/ older horse questions #5  
I gave you the wrong wt. oil. Should have been 140 not 130. Sorry.