422 OIl Filter Removal

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Is there an easy way to take off and on the oil filter. Can't get hand between tub and filter.

Thanks
Frank

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #3  
Frank, are you talking about the engine oil filter or the hydraulic oil filter?

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #5  
Not sure how you are doing it, but I move the gas tank out of the way and take the heat shield out. It's still a tight fit but I can get my skinny arms in there.

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #6  
I've gotten one of those plastic filter wrenches on to a swivel with extension on to a ratchet and was able to get it loose. I remember I think it was MR, said to get a baggy over the filter before it comes off, to keep the oil mess in the bag, so to speak.

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #7  
I've gotten one of those plastic filter end cap wrenches, like Kevin shows in his link, on to a swivel with extension on to a ratchet and was able to get it loose. I remember I think it was MR, said to get a baggy over the filter before it comes off, to keep the oil mess in the bag, so to speak.

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #8  
I've gotten one of those plastic filter end cap wrenches, like Kevin shows in his link, on to a swivel with extension on to a ratchet and was able to get it loose. I remember I think it was MR, said to get a baggy over the filter before it comes off, to keep the oil mess in the bag, so to speak.

I use the baggy, but that's on the hydraulic filter, not the engine oil filter. My engine oil filter on the Kohler is very easy to access.

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #9  
12year old armed with a filter end-cap socket and ratchet, with supervision. or when I do the oil filter change myself I take the engine bolts loose and shift the motor to the side for easier access and remember to ''bag'' the filter to avoid the mess

/ 422 OIl Filter Removal #10  
yeah, the bag is a good trick... sorry forgot to mention that. :)