New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #1  

Wobblin-Goblin

Gold Member
Tractor
2021 Massey Ferguson 4707
First off, this is the second Massey I've owned. The first was an '07 1540 Powershuttle. Loved that tractor. Had to sell it when the economy crapped the bed.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new 1643 Hydro and have 11 hours on it so far, mostly loader work. While I'm a "gear" guy and miss the Powershuttle, I'm quickly adjusting to the Hydro and liking it a lot for loader work. It's very precise. If you need another inch, you can get one more inch. Having said that, it appears as though you really have to have the revs (throttle) up in order to get work done. Even so, with the 66" HD bucket and cutting edge, if you fill it the DL120 hydraulics sometimes really strains to lift it. I don't remember my 1540/1525 loader not wanting to lift a full bucket of earth. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, there is a vibration/rattle somewhere on or under the hood at 2,100 rpm. Can't find it yet. Seems to be near the fuel door.

Some things I think are better on the 1643 (vs. the 1540):

1. It's a better looking tractor, fwiw.
2. I like the one piece hood with no side panels.
3. The headlights are better, mostly due to them being placed higher.
4. The ROPS is better with no rattle like the 1540 had.
5. The seat might be better. The arm rests are nice, but useless while operating the loader joystick.

Some things that I think were better on the 1540:

1. The loader joystick. I could rest my arm (on the fender?) while using it. Not so much with the new joystick.
2. The 3cyl turbo on the 1540 was REAL quiet and good on fuel. Again, the Hydro might be part of the culprit here, with having to keep the revs up more. I've noticed that when I avoid the 2,100rpm rattle, the 1643 is pretty quiet, too, even at 2,200rpm.

Overall, given that we will use this tractor more for the loader than anything else, I'm pretty happy so far. It seems to be a well-designed, well-built tractor. I really like the size, too.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #2  
The 1643s are getting some good press, they must be nice.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations
It is nice.

I looked at Deere (both the 3000 Twenty and 4000 Twenty series). The 3000s weren't quite enough tractor and the 4000s were too expensive. The 1643 fit right in between the two Deere models size-wise, and was cheaper than both. The 1643 also is more tractor than the 3000 series, which absolutely eliminated it (the 3000) from consideration. That left the 4000 Twenty series, and while it was more tractor than the 1643, is was far, far more expensive.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the amount of tractor and the size. We've got other pieces of equipment on the farm, too, but this new Massey has decent range to handle a fair amount of tasks.

I know it's subjective, but the 1600 series might be the best looking compact tractors out there.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #4  
Pictures?

Give me a little time, I'll post a few (if I can figure out how).

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #6  
I have a 1660 with a cab, not sure if you have a cab or not, but I thought it was very quiet until I opened the door once at 21-2200 rpm. Sounded like the whole tractor was falling apart. Found that the loader stands were the main culprit, removed them and it was a lot better. Only other really annoying rattle is the level indicator on the loader.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #7  
They are a nice tractor. The 1643, like all the 1600 series tractors, have obviously benefitted from consideration being given to style as well as performance. Also completely subjective, I found the ergonomics were among the best that I drove.

That said, there are a couple of things I would change. I think a nicer seat for the cabbed tractors would be a worthwhile investment, I'd be willing to pay an extra few hundred dollars for one. Will be looking to upgrade myself, and not because the seat sold with the tractor is unusable, just because I'm getting older and like being comfortable, especially with the heat on listening to my favorite music station and sipping hot cocoa in a blizzard.

Funny, the rattle only happens at 2,100rpm. Below and above that there are no vibrations or rattles. As I said, even at 2,200rpm the tractor is fairly quiet. I like that.

Per the seat, I think the 1540's seat was just slightly more comfortable (hard to tell, I sold it four years ago) than this one, but the new seat appears to be well-designed for outdoor use (no cab) and it has those arm rests.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #9  
Check the steel hydraulic lines on the loader, right after the bend on the arm. We had one that would vibrate at a certain rpm. Simple fix, I just cut a piece of old inner-tube and stuck it between the line and the frame.

/ New 1643 on the farm. Couple questions/observations #10  
Congratulations to your new tractor!! I agree, the MF 1600 series is a very nice looking tractor. And it is very well built and has a very ergonomic platform. I love my 1648!