Ford 4610 Electrical Issue

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #1  

ETpilot

Gold Member
Thought I'D post this here since it is a Ford issue. Today I had an unusual electrical problem. First start of the day. I turned the key to start and engine made an attempt to start but did not start. I turned the key to off then back to start. This time I had no indicator light on instrument panel and no power to start. Nothing, just silence. I went to the shop and got my battery tester and multimeter for troubleshooting. I tried the key again but still nothing. Battery tested good, could not reach fuse box cause you have to remove hood. I could not reach positive battery connection cause FEL was installed and fuel filter is in the way. So I did not do too much checking. The tractor was in the barn and not much work space on right side.

So I decide to try key again and now I have indicator lights. I go around to try another start and engine starts right up. I worked the rest of the day and engine has started right up no hesitation. So, I do not know what to make of this no start. Is there a self resetting circuit breaker in system? Switch going bad? Any thoughts on this problem will be appreciated.

I am parking tractor in open field in case it dies on me so I can try to remove FEL for easier work access.

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #2  
Ign switch or more likely poor battery cable or cable grind connection. Good luck.
Jim

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #3  
Ign switch or more likely poor battery cable or cable grind connection. Good luck.
Jim

I agree with Jim. Check the battery cables and the starter solenoid connections as well as the chasis ground connection. Might also look at connections on the key switch. Occaisonally the transmission neutral start switch will stick. So try wiggling the hi-lo lever if it happens again.

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #4  
I agree with Jim. Check the battery cables and the starter solenoid connections as well as the chasis ground connection. Might also look at connections on the key switch. Occaisonally the transmission neutral start switch will stick. So try wiggling the hi-lo lever if it happens again.

Agree with all. Get in the habit of leaving the range shifter in N so the NSS will close and not freeze open as when the range shifter is in high or low and temps drop with condensation under the shift cover.

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue
Thanks all for the replies. Now that you mention cables I did have a cable issue a while back. I noticed during start up that smoke was coming from cable connected to starter. I cleaned and added dielectric and tightened. No more smoke. Yesterday it started without any hesitation. I am going to remove FEL to access the cables and check them out. Ford decided to use black cables for + n - so it was not clear on the routing. I believe - goes to the starter connection which is unusual. The other appears to go to the starter solenoid. I will know better once I remove the FEL and review the wiring diagram. Thanks again.

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #6  
The battery ground cable may very well go to a 8MM lug the front of the starter case. The Battery positive cable goes to the top large post on the start solenoid.

The battery ground cable may very well go to a 8MM lug the front of the starter case. The Battery positive cable goes to the top large post on the start solenoid.

That is the way it looks. I will know better once I remove the FEL.

Well, now I believe it may be rodents. I have had a problem with rodents 2 times in the past. I have had to do some wiring repair. Today I was using the tractor and on the last start up, I noticed that my fuel gauge moved to full fuel. With power off it moves to half full. This is a new movement pattern and it may be rodents have chewed into the wiring. I will have to take the hood off and pull the instrument panel to check it all out.

Well, the rodents got me again. I pulled the instrument panel and found chewed wires. Repaired and now fuel and temperature gauge work again. I am not sure if they chewed any of the more hidden wires. The tractor has been starting since the no-start problem. Time will tell. image.jpg

/ Ford 4610 Electrical Issue #9  
I have the same problem. How do you remove the instrument panel? It looks to me like the hood has to come off. It starts when I jump the terminals on the starter, but I would like to get the lights, etc working.