need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb???

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #1  

yukonhunter

Silver Member
Tractor
John deere 5100m, mf1643 cab and kubota bx2370woods bb720x land pride disc and reverse tiller
I have a john Deere 4520hst with 485 backhoe...I do a lot of food plot work and clearing of hard woods...is it worth the extra money for a root grapple or should I just get a thumb for my backhoe????

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #2  
I vote WICKED GRAPPLE!!!!!

Most people say the grapple gets used more than their bucket.

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #3  
To me it depends on cost, I put a hydraulic thumb on my tractors BH for about 1/2 the cost of a grapple and I use it all the time. I am not sure how much I would use a grapple. Ideally I would have both but the finances just won't allow that. If price was about the same, I think the grapple is more versatile and the BH/thumb would have more power for ripping stuff from the ground, tough decision. I only have 2 acres to maintain/clear so that maybe why a grapple is not as important to me.

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #4  
I think I would go with the grapple first, you will use it a lot. But ideally, I would work to getting both, grapple first, them thumb. We had a thumb on our 220 Deere excavator and didn't use it that much, and yes we were in the timber with it. There is always debris around the edge of fields or food plots. Grapple is gonna shine, plus piling brush will go a lot faster/cleaner, if you burn! LUTT

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #5  
Or a "thumb" on the bucket.

Attachments

• 100_0830 (Small).jpg
    100_0830 (Small).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_0834 (Small) (2).jpg
    100_0834 (Small) (2).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 90
   / need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb???
I wonder how much it will cost to put a thumb on my backhoe..does anyone know

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #7  
I think I would go with the grapple first, you will use it a lot. But ideally, I would work to getting both, grapple first, them thumb. We had a thumb on our 220 Deere excavator and didn't use it that much, and yes we were in the timber with it. There is always debris around the edge of fields or food plots. Grapple is gonna shine, plus piling brush will go a lot faster/cleaner, if you burn! LUTT

I agree with this, good advice.

/ need help. root grapple or mechinical thumb??? #8  
I wonder how much it will cost to put a thumb on my backhoe..does anyone know

Try MIE, Michigan Iron & Equipment, they make thumbs for lots of brands. I have their hydraulic thumb and a separate GR-20 Igland brand grapple; see my avatar. Get both eventually. Grapple is probably more versatile and easier to install with QA loader mounts than putting a hoe on and off to use a thumb. I try to only install the hoe once for a lot of work and then put on brush hog or winch, or BB as needed. YMMV.