Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #1  

hoffmtim

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 5093e; 1949 John Deere MT; 1972 John Deere 800 windrower, restored; 2001 567 John Deere baler; 2013 CaseIH Farmall 55a MFWD
I've owned the old girl since 1997. A friend of mine is in the business of restorations. I loaded it up today and hauled it to his house (he restores them in a detached 2 stall garage). Hopefully it'll get done prior to show season :cool2:

49 MT.jpg

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #2  
Sweet! Are you going through the mechanicals or just paint?

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #3  
I had one of these about 15 years ago, but sold it to thin the herd some. Some don't care for the Dubuque tractors, but it's a handy little tractor. I loved the telescoping steering wheel.

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #4  
Keep us posted on the restoration. (With photos would be even better).

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend
Sweet! Are you going through the mechanicals or just paint?

It needs a little work to get running again, but the engine is free. We'll get it running and see if we need to do anything more. If it runs fine, we'll get her painted up and new front tires (Rears are new). Previous owner cobbled some lights and other things on it that we'll remove and bring it back to original.

Mike R, this o'l girl came to me via Canada. It was a purchased up there and brought down to the States by the person I bought it from.

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #6  
Those are sweet running tractors .

The old girl is running again. Needed a coil, plugs and plug wires and all to be rewired to switch. That's what I get for letting her sit for 12 years! She was treated to a power wash on a rare 50 degree day here in South Dakota (high of 16 tomorrow), and now the work begins to prepare for paint. New front tires are coming as well.

49 mt.jpg

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #8  
Looks like good progress is being made.

More progress...

IMG_20140201_024052081.jpgIMG952014013195134219021.jpg

/ Getting the '49 MT ready to get restored by a friend #10  
Are you going to leave it 12volt or put it back to the 6 volt? I see it has an alternator on it.