Cable chains for CUT

/ Cable chains for CUT #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I clear 3 neighbors driveways that are on a slight incline. when the snow packs down I lose tractions pretty quickly so they have agreed to chip in and buy me a set of chains for my JD 2320 cut.. tire size is 31x12-16.5

My first choice would be a 2 link chain, but I saw on the Peerless website they offer cable chains in 12-16.5 NHS

Would cable chains work on a tractor?

what happens if the cable are too long for my tires? with 'chains' I can remove links so they fit

Brian

/ Cable chains for CUT #2  
I am looking at a set of chains for my 4115. Never heard of cable chains. Got a pic? Yours has the same rear tires as mine.

Here's the link to the place I was looking at-
12-16.5 Tractor Tire Chain

/ Cable chains for CUT #3  
I am thinking a set of good ice chains from a semi cut down would be excellent on a cut.

I did this with my jeep and I tell you, they do the job. Not for highway use so much, but for slow dig in and get there these work well. Enough metal in them to work for many years on a cut.

/ Cable chains for CUT #4  
I've been wondering about using semi chains, where could they be found (used, and reasonable) ?

/ Cable chains for CUT #5  
A local trucking company or a indenpendant trucker who might be
looking to replace his old chains which are no longer road worthy
might be a good starting place.

/ Cable chains for CUT
   / Cable chains for CUT
I've been wondering about using semi chains, where could they be found (used, and reasonable) ?

OR your local Dept of Transportation.. IF they can give them away, im sure they go through multiple pairs a yr.. I know the state police here were only using chains once per day/shift and then replacing/ditching them. Not sure if that is still happening or not..

I work for the state, and thought about stopping by the local VA DOT and ask if they had any grader chains that were not safe for them to use anymore.. BUT it appears that the trucks are using cable chains some, the graders are using real chains. though

Brian

/ Cable chains for CUT
   / Cable chains for CUT #9  
Those look like they would work alright, but they also look like they might give a rough ride. I prefer the two link chains because the ride is not only better, but they don't tend to slip, grab, slip, grab like the four link chains tend to do on pavement, or what those cable chains look like they would also do. Granted it isn't that much slipping like no chains would be, but less spinning is easier on my tires and my pavement, and the chains tend to last longer IME.

/ Cable chains for CUT
RG1 -Thanks for the input.. I think you are right - I will shoot for the 2 Link ones.. especially since Im not paying for them.. IF the cables were too long, i dont know how you could get them tight enough..

brian