Making a hydraulic reservoir

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #1  

40Kchicks

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota M9000DTL 2001 JD 2252 Orchard Tractor Cat 216 Skidsteer 1999 JD 450H Dozer 1994 JD 644G wheel loader
I’m making a hydraulic poultry litter machine which is something like a manure spreader with an uptake sifting belt. I’ll be done in a couple of weeks and will make a post for it. But I have run into a little problem. I need to make a 12”X15”X36” metal hydraulic reservoir. I was talking to a friend who used to be a hydraulic mechanic and he was telling me that their bare metal tanks would rust and the painted metal tanks would flake on the inside. He recommended building it out of stainless. I can cut and weld stainless but I’m concerned about the cost. I will need a 3’X5’ at least 12ga sheet, which means I’ll probably have to buy a 4’X6”. Maybe that won’t be very expensive and I’m worrying about nothing, but something tells me it might be.

Has anyone heard of or used a sealer for steel hydraulic reservoir tanks. After spending $1300 on pumps and motor I would like to make sure that tank isn’t going to containment the hydraulics system. Monday I will be on the phone checking around for new prices, scrap prices, and even possibly a 18” stainless pipe piece to make it out of. But if anyone knows of something that will seal regular steel please let me know.

Eric

Last note: I am going to put a filter on the return of the system and a strainer is ordered for the drain on the tank.

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #2  
I have yet to see a hydraulic reservoir rust on the inside. I have never seen one that was anything other than unpainted metal on the inside either. The oil will keep the tank from rusting and the oil saturated air in it will not allow rust in the air space.

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir
Thanks for the reply Jerry.That would be great if I could just weld, clean and fill. I have some spare sheet metal laying arould that would work if thats the case.

Anyone else have any opinions on the subject?

Eric

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #4  
The only resevoirs that will rust usually have been left outside with the top off, other than that it shouldnt rust on the inside. I cut up a few 30 year old resevoirs the other day off outside forklift hull that were still slick on the inside. Ive got a pair on some Raymond type pallet lifts that are 2 inches thick and 4 foot by 4 foot for a large cooling area that may get used in a project.

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #5  
Make it out of regular mild steel and put a filter in the suction line. If you are still in doubt put a magnet in the tank.

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir
This sounds good. I knew I would get some expert advise.

Eric

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #7  
If you have to buy SS get 303 or 304 grade. It is a lower grade SS than 316. I built my diesel tank out of stainless was 2x /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifthe cost of metal. Steel should be fine for a tank. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #8  
If you decide to make your own tank, they I suggest that you purchase bungs at a full line plumbing supply store and weld them in for the connections. Also, consider putting one in the bottom so you can drain the tank fully. Also you can take a piece of 3/4" pipe and cut it at a 60 degree angle and weld it to the side of the tank after you cut an oblong hole in the side for creating a dip stick. The top of the pipe is threaded and to make the dipstick you weld a piece of 1/4" square bar stock to the inside of a 3/4" pipe cap and mark the bar stock where the fluid level is supposed to be...... The plug at the bottom can be a automotive drain plug that has a magnet attached to it....

I will post a picture latter when my camera battery is recharged..... always goes dead just when you want to use it.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif check back in an hour or two.....

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #9  
hmm, an old beer keg would make a nice stainless hyd resivor. just weld a few bungs on and some mounting tabs and you would have a nice tank. on the other side of things, i have never seen a rusted hyd resivor unless like others have said it was left outside uncovered or somehow water got into the system. if ya have that much water in the system then not only will the tank rust but so will the steel in the pumps, valves, fittings and hyd motors. water is very bad for hyd systems altogether. i wouldnt worry about using a stainless tank, but i do have alot of kegs laying around so if i did need a hyd tank that would be one of my first choices anyhow.

/ Making a hydraulic reservoir #10  
I must have been drinking the wrong beer....... all the kegs that I have seen are made of aluminum......