looking to upgrade a Gc2610

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I am looking to upgrade my Gc2610 I purchased in 2011. It has served me well for the 280 hrs on it. I now moved to NH on 200 acres and and would like to upgrade to maybe a MF 1540 or larger. My big concern is ground clearance. The 2610 is seriously lacking in that dept. Off road in the woods it gets stuck or bottoms out the rear axle. I am also looking to clear maybe three acres of level land which would involve pulling stumps of trees no larger than 12" trees. It was logged heavily 25 years ago so all the big wood is gone. Would this be unrealistic for a 1540 class tractor with backhoe. I was also thinking of buying a 5 to 8 ton excavator for the land clearing. I am in no rush to clear the land so if it is just time between the excavator and tractor I do not mind. Would upgrading to an even bigger tractor make more sense? I am also trying to find a good value for the resale of my 2610. I have the 60" mmm, snowblower and a KK 4ft gear driven tiller for sale with it. Out of the 280 hrs about 75 was on a pto gen and 75 was mowing grass. Any input would be great. Thanks

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #2  
My 1635 with backhoe pulls up to 12" stumps pretty easily. Above that I have to work a bit - find a main root or 2 and break them then it can pull the rest of the stump. 12" seems to be about the limit where I can pluck it with one good swipe.

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610
My 1635 with backhoe pulls up to 12" stumps pretty easily. Above that I have to work a bit - find a main root or 2 and break them then it can pull the rest of the stump. 12" seems to be about the limit where I can pluck it with one good swipe.

Thanks for the reply. Is that a hardwood or pine? Is it a really loose loam or rocky soil? I had hoped I would of had more responses by now. I guess I should take a drive over to Watermans in ME (2 hrs away) to get some advice.

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #4  
The stumps were mostly ugly cherry. In the rockier sections it might take a bit more work, but it still wasn't too bad. It did help to leave the stump ~2 feet high and use that leverage to help break some roots. None of the stumps were in loose soil, it is all glacial till here with little bits of topsoil on top in spots.

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #5  
What kind of backhoe do you have on your 1635? I've debated one for mine.
Thanks

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #6  
Hi Liberty2701,
I don't know if you're aware of New Boston Trucking in New Boston NH instead. Not a bad ride from the lakes, or you could try calling Bill the owner, he'd give you some great input. Good luck in your research!

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #7  
With 200 acres... I would skip the compacts and aim for ag tractors.
Like the 2600 serie or 4600 serie...both utility ag tractors
Built way stronger,lot more hydraulics power...a little more money but well spend.
Your talking ground clearance...my 4608 as 19" under the drawbar !
I just went up from a compact 1455 to a 4608...day and night. The power on that FEL,and pulling power are just incredible.
I wouldn't go back to a compact.
And on the size of your property, sooner or later, you will want to upgrade to a bigger machine, work more land, etc..
My :2cents:....hope it helps a bit.
Black

/ looking to upgrade a Gc2610 #8  
What kind of backhoe do you have on your 1635? I've debated one for mine.
Thanks

I have Massey's CB20 on it. It works good. Wouldn't mind a bit more power to move the rear of the tractor easier, but I have rimguard loaded big R4's so there is a lot of weight to move.