Snow Attachments ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow..

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow.. #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
I think I'm going to fabricate a mount for the front bucket .
One question is; should I use a chain on the "A" frame from the top of the bucket or could I use a screw type top link ?
I've got a 4-way valve on the loader.
The chain/ link would come from a connection point at the top of the bucket to the "front" portion of the A frame.
I did see one with a top link but couldn't find the owner for a "report" on it.
Thanks
GrayBeard

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow.. #2  
On mine I put the chain over FEK center to a welded hook.
You need to leave a littke play or at least the chance should you need a little play. I wouldn't put this set up in a solid mount situation..

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow.. #3  
Chain is best, cause it will allow the blade to float. If you want down pressure use a solid link.

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow.. #4  
i agree with the others. i've built a few fel snowplows over the years for customers, and i always put some float in them. it helps the blade follow the terrain, and keeps it from digging in when you don't want it to.

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow..
Thanks for the response. It'll probably be a chain.
I think I may add a turn buckle or something because invariably it will want to "hook" between links.
With the adjustment, I should be able to better distribute the weight between the top rail and front edge of the bucket ?
GrayBeard

/ ? for those with a FEL bucket mounted snow plow.. #6  
when I recently mounted my old Jeep 6 /12 foot plow to the bucket, the original chain was to long. All I did was level plow and bucket, which means back of bucket is one innch off the ground because I used a 5/8 plow blade for a cutting edge, and shortened the chain so it just loops around a center welded hook and I re-welded it to the "A" frame rails. I've used this for the first two storms and it works flawlessly. It is level and does a great job. I pick the bucket up a few inches, roll it forward and remove/install chain when dismounting/mounting the blade.