Backhoe Backhoe quandary

/ Backhoe quandary #1  

aloha

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 / Kubota RTV X900 / Scag Turf Tiger
I’m very close to making the commitment to a long term relationship, but I need advice. Either would probably make me happy. But is either really right for the long haul, or should I just pay by the hour as the need arises from time to time?

The tractor will be a Kubota B7800. Depending on which of 2 dealers gets my money, the backhoe will be either Woods 6500 or 7500 or Bradco 3265 or 3375. Unless, that is, I follow the advice of the sales guy who says it probably would be more cost effective to rent a backhoe when needed, but if I insist, he will sell me one. He may be right, but having it at home, ready for me every day of the week, sounds a lot more convenient.

The backhoe will dig footings for a garage/shop foundation, trench utilities, put in underground water tanks and septic system, plant trees. There are no current plans that will require digging deeper than about 6 feet. The soil should not present problems for any digging machine. I estimate about 3-4 weeks of backhoe work in the first year, then 3-4 days twice a year for grounds maintenance on 15 acres. If it isn’t getting much use after a couple years, I may then want to sell the backhoe.

The Bradco is being offered by this dealer only as a 3 PT hitch mount and with hydraulics off the tractor. The Woods can also be gotten as a 3 PT hitch mount and with hydraulics off the tractor, at a price nearly identical to the Bradco, or frame mounted at an additional cost of about $500, and with a PTO hydraulic pump at an additional cost of about $600.

With either brand, it adds about $500 to go from the 6.5 foot model to the 7.5 foot.

I know these are highly subjective, but my questions are:
-- Are there any strong reasons to choose one over the others between owning Bradco, owning Woods, or renting industrial grade equipment when needed?
-- Is it worth $500 for the extra foot of digging depth and marginally heftier construction and slightly greater digging force the 7.5 foot models offer?
-- Is it worth $500 to get a frame mounted backhoe, and would this present any issues regarding possible future resale?
-- Is it worth $600 for a PTO pump, and would this present any issues regarding possible future resale?

All comments will be appreciated.

And for bonus points, should the Bradco be the backhoe of choice simply because it would be orange?

/ Backhoe quandary #2  
aloha
I'm probably not going to answer your questions since I have a <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> B4690. But there are some thing to be aware when installing a Backhoe on a B27-2910 and B7800.

Click Here

Be aware that under some circumstances <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> may not warranty your tractor with certain attachments on your tractor. Check out this thread.

Click Here

If you go with a 3PH Backhoe be sure to add the Heavy Duty Top link Bracket.

Click Here

<font color="orange"> Kubota </font> recommends a folding ROPS when installing a Backhoe. Otherwise you will be hitting your head on the fixed one when operating a Backhoe.

/ Backhoe quandary #3  
I have a Woods 9000 and its orange to match my tractor.
Go with the bigger hoe.

I've done everything you listed and more with mine. It would be cheaper to rent one for what you listed. Same thing for me, it would have been cheaper to rent. I have a few projects to do over the next couple years now that the house and shop are built. By the time I'm done the rental fee's would be about half the cost of the hoe. The conveiniance of having the hoe around to do little things, that you'd never rent one to do, is shear joy!

/ Backhoe quandary #4  
I was considering the Bradco, which is a good unit, but the dealer swayed me to the Woods.

/ Backhoe quandary #5  
Aloha, I can’t help you with the specific brands mentioned, I got the BH90. It has been a pure joy to operate. It is definitely less expensive to rent unless you consider you own time. If I had a choice on doing a small project by hand, which would take about 3 hours, or rent a backhoe, which would take minimum of half a day, I would probably do it by hand, or not do it at all. But now I jump on my tractor and it takes about 15 minutes and it is fun and productive and I save so much time.
I would go with the larger backhoe. The productive angle for the best digging with the boom, dipperstick, and bucket is less than the maximum listed because the bucket has to be almost pointed toward you for best digging in new ground.

TXDon

/ Backhoe quandary #6  
aloha,

Just some misc. thoughts:

I think a backhoe is almost like a FEL in the sense that if you have one handy, uses come out of the woodwork.

The longer your backhoe, the less often you need to reposition the tractor, like in trenching. It seems that repositioning would be tiresome when you have to change seats each time. And if trenching efficiency is of concern, rent a trencher instead of an industrial backhoe, unless the trench needs to be wide.

The closest thing to a tractor mounted backhoe I've operated was one made for a CAT skidsteer that cost about $9000 and was probably heavy than most compact tractor models. Still, there was no comparison between it and the small industrial backhoe I'm familiar with (Case 480). If you have a big job, rent an industrial backhoe - plus you have an incredible loader available on the other end. If you don't have any real heavy lifting, and have the time and patience, you can do it with something smaller.

John

/ Backhoe quandary #7  
Here's my thoughts - you have enough work and spread out over enough time that it will be a lot easier to buy one, use it until you have the bulk of your projects done and then sell it. The depreciation will likley be less than the rental cost would have been, you won't be pressed for time to get things done before you return it, and you can then take your time selling it. You could also do what I did when I was putting in our koi pond. I bought a 20 year old 20K lb TLB for $8,000. Cost me another $100 to get it to my house. Used it all summer for projects and sold it in the fall for $8000. So my "rental" cost was $100, 5 gal of hydraulic fluid to top off, and I changed the oil and filter. Got to do things at my leisure, had a lot of fun, and got all my projects done. If you don't mind laying out a little more money and you buy it right you can get a nice machine for $12-15K or a nice mini excavator for around $10K which would be even better for your needs. Use it and sell it when done.

/ Backhoe quandary #8  
<font color="blue"> -- Is it worth $500 for the extra foot of digging depth and marginally heftier construction and slightly greater digging force the 7.5 foot models offer? </font>

My backhoe is a 7.5 foot, and I sometimes wish it was a little longer. You can never have too much digging depth/reach.

<font color="blue"> -- Is it worth $500 to get a frame mounted backhoe, and would this present any issues regarding possible future resale? </font>

I would definitely go with the sub frame mount. I feel it's stronger, and less likely to damage the tractor if you get over exuberant in your use of the hoe. I have a sub frame mount.

<font color="blue">-- Is it worth $600 for a PTO pump, and would this present any issues regarding possible future resale? </font>

PTO pump advantages are not having to worry about loosing/contaiminating your hydraulic fluid if you bust a line on the backhoe, and possibly a higher flowrate for faster operation.

Advantage of using the tractor hydraulics is easier hookup and removal as you can manuever the hoe into posistion without having to hook up the PTO pump. I run mine off the tractor hydraulics.

As far as resale issues, I never planned on selling my backhoe (just way to useful) so I have never looked into/considered resale as an issue.

Hope this helps

/ Backhoe quandary #9  
I have a Kubota 4672A backhoe on my B7500. It's a 3-pt mount with the HD reinforced top link and uses a PTO pump. I have found it useful, but If I could do it again, I would go with a subframe mount and use tractor hydraulics. My 3-pt BH gives the tractor a real workout, and the jarring motion transmitted to the tractor hitch just can't be good for it, regardless of the HD bracket.

After using my BH, I did some research on the Eaton PTO pump, and found it has no more capacity than the tractor hydraulics, so it is redundant, a nuisance to connect, and increases maintenance costs (more hyd. fluid, filters, etc.).

The only downside to the subframe mount is possible reduced ground clearance or inteference with a mid-mount mower, which should be avoidable by choosing a good BH design. A knowledgeable dealer can be helpful here.

As for renting vs. owning, that is a moot point for me as my local dealer has stopped renting large backhoes by the day, only by the week. If the subframe mount fits the Kubota B2710/2910/7800, I don't think you will have a problem with resale if you buy the 7.5 ft model. At the low financing rates Kubota has, it is a reasonable proposition to use it a few years and then sell it. I'll probably do the same.

By the way, according to my dealer, I can sell the backhoe attachment before my Kubota loan is paid off, as long as the payments already made exceed the original sale price of the backhoe.

/ Backhoe quandary #10  
My vote is with the sub frame and tractor hydraulics. Mine is 6.5' never used a 7.5.
I didn't know I needed one so much until I got it.
When one project is done another seems to come up.
I was all done this Fall "till Isabel blew thru. (17 trees upset)
Now I'm digging stumps; between snow storms...
GrayBeard