MF tractor ac needs freon

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #1  

mmarvinn

Tractor
John Deere and 399 Massey Ferguson
I have everything needed to put Freon in my MF tractor ac, but I need more know-how on what to do....steps, pressure etc.. Does anyone know of a place on the internet or on this forum that gives this info. I'm new to this site and I'm trying to get my hay baled in this Tx heat without an ac (I'm actually asking this for my husband at his request who is in the hay field as I type) I know the tractor is a Massey Furgeson, I think he said it is a 399. Any suggestions and or info is appreciated. I tried youtube, but couldn't find what I needed.

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #2  
If the tractor is a Massey Ferguson 399 with a Sanden compressor then the tractor uses 3.1 lbs of R134, 7 oz of oil, and use 150 viscosity oil when you purge the system. I do not know how to put it in on your tractor, hopefully someone else can explain that.

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #3  
Yes it was hot in Tx yesterday & going to be the same today. Are you sure that evaparater,condenser & cab filters are spiffy clean???????????? Farm machinery AC systems operate under adverse conditions so AC components need to be cleaned regularly. Coolant has been known to be added to AC systems when indeed NONE WAS NEEDED. I'm assuming your MF 399 has R134A for AC coolant. Here's the pressure chart. Hose quick couplers are 2 different sizes for high & low so will only attach the correct way. When adding coolant only open low side gate valve on gauge cluster.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 5,611
   / MF tractor ac needs freon
Thank you Jim and Sportsman. Good info. This is a great site. So glad I found this site with guys like you ready to share info. I've seen Freon added to my tractor a few years ago, but I didn't know the specifics to be able to do it myself. Jim, thanks for the chart and I will check the components you suggested.

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #5  
If you have to add refrigerant (Freon is a brand name), make sure you do, then find the leak first or you will be doing it over. Low on refrigerant always means a leak somewhere. Most common are mechanical joints and compressor shaft seals. If you have been operating in a vacuum then there are bigger considerations, air and moisture in the system.

AC service is not a DIY project unless you have all the proper tools and at least a basic understanding of heat transfer theory and refrigeration system operation. A leak detector, gauges, vacuum pump, accurate digital scale, oil, refrigerant, and some special tools will set you back around $500 at Harbor Freight. If you add too much refrigerant you can destroy the compressor. Not adding the right amount of oil can do the same either way. A leak will leak oil also as it is carried by the refrigerant. Low refrigerant also means low oil. Most automotive compressors are difficult to asses the operating oil level.

Ron

/ MF tractor ac needs freon
Thanks Ron, lots to consider. I finished one of my hay fields yesterday and a guy that has worked on tractor ac's in the past is coming Thursday to help me check it out. I plan on using the info you all shared with me to help me understand the process since he is going to walk me through it while I do it, which is how I learn best. So glad I found this site. Thanks again

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #7  
How to properly recharge a/c unit on case/i.h. 1086 farm tractor?

/ MF tractor ac needs freon #8  
Welcome Frank. Too many variables to say without more info.
- How did it get low? Tiny slow leak over a year or two, or a major leak?
- If you know where the leak is, is there evidence of oil loss also?
- Is there any pressure left in the system? What is the pressure when it is not running?
- What refrigerant does it use?
- Do you know where the a/c high-side and low-side test fittings are?
- Can you find a label/sticker indicating what the full charge weight is?

If it has a leak, obviously that will need to be repaired first. Then if the system has been depressurized for even a small amount of time, it will have gotten air and moisture in which will need to be removed using a vacuum pump. If oil has escaped, it will need to be replaced WITH THE EXACT SAME TYPE and the right quantity of refrigeration oil. Only then, using a decent set of gauges, can you recharge it. The amount of charge and the correct low and high pressures will depend on answers to the stuff above and the ambient air temp when you do it, but basically, you will connect the replacement refrigerant supply through your gauges to the LOW side and run the system to suck it in.

- Jay