Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
I just purchased a set of oxygen/acetelene torches. Can anyone with a bit more experience give me some starting values of what pressures to use for welding/brazing and of course using the cutting head.

I know the process of using each but it has been over 20 years since I last used one and I can't remember those pressures.

Thanks!

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #2  
I keep my oxygen around 40psi for most cutting, but i do go higher when i uses it on my burn table. I keep the acetylene over around 10 to 15. remebeber when our volume gets low and you put the regualtors down to use it some more back it off a bit when you putthe new bottles back on. I remeber my first torch I bought when I was 14 and i ran out and had my regulator screwed in. I put a new bottle on and got to see it peg out.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch
I appreciate the input. I really needed a starting point for the psi settings and you have provided me that. I should be fine getting up to speed at this point.

Have A Merry Christmas All !

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #4  
I'll go along with the 40 pounds, I sometimes only run 30 though. But for the welding brazing I only go around 5 pounds on the acetelene sometimes as low as 3 or 4 if its real thin metal. Cutting then more of the 40lbs and 10 to 15 lbs.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #5  
Welding or brazing, I go 12 - 15 on oxygen, 4 - 5 on acetylene. I step it up some for cutting, but if I'm getting a good burn, I don't go too high. I can't remember ever being over 7 for acetylene.

One other tip - there is no need to crank the cylinder valves all the way open. You'll get all the flow you need at about 1/2 turn open, and that way, if you ever need to close the valves in an emergency, it's easy and quick.

Finally, do NOT open the oxygen valve and point pure oxygen at grease, such as near a grease fitting. It will probably self-combust.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #6  
Re: Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetylene Torch

I worked at welding for a number years, and so I probably run it on the high side. I figure if I have the Oxygen high on the meter, I just don't have as much turned on at the torch. Same when cutting with the Acetylene on the high side. Of course it will still depend on how heavy the metal you are working with is to. And I agree on opening the valves, just a very little will do it. Just about anything above where it flows. When you don't have a lot of pressure it doesn't matter if its just bearly open.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #7  
I've always been told it's four to one, four pounds of oxygen for every pound of acetylene.

I run mine high, eight on acetylene and thirty five on oxygen.

I was taught to always crank the oxygen wide open because of the type of valve used on the oxygen regulator. The acetylene was to be one turn or less just for emergencies. After all the acetylene is the fuel and in an emergency the fuel is what you want to stop.

Acetylene bottles are ALWAYS to be kept vertical because of the way the acetylene is made.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Acetylene bottles are ALWAYS to be kept vertical because of the way the acetylene is made. )</font>

Always? Or just when in use? I suppose the bottles and valves may be different now (although they look the same), but from the mid-'40s until 1951, my Dad drove a truck selling and delivering welding supplies and equipment. That was in the days before tailgate lifts, and the oxygen and acetylene bottles were carried horizontally on a flatbed truck, stacked like cordwood and held in place with chains and chain booms. In those days, my Dad was a tall, slender, wiry feller, but needless to say, he was also one strong man from tossing those bottles around. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

All the trucks I've seen now for several years have the bottles in the vertical position and have tailgate lifts. So I was just wondering what's changed, if anything.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch #9  
I read the posts without looking at the names & finally came to the one that was what I learned when I took a class back in '84. Wroughtn Harv's. 1 to 4. I don't think you are ever supposed to go over 15# on acetelyn. Oxygen valve wide open.

/ Question Concerning Oxygen/Acetelene Torch
<font color="red"> I read the posts without looking at the names & finally came to the one that was what I learned when I took a class back in '84. Wroughtn Harv's. 1 to 4. I don't think you are ever supposed to go over 15# on acetelyn. Oxygen valve wide open.

</font>

I also remember that the oxygen valve should be wide open from metal shop in high school years ago.

I also saw years ago what happens when an unchained oxygen bottle falls and gets its valve damaged. It acts like a torpedo and will take out cinder block walls before it finally stops. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks for the assistance guys.