Front loader cutting edge

/ Front loader cutting edge #1  

Tom_W

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti 1914 TLB kl1210 loader and a smc 65a backhoe (same as rhino)
I want to put a replaceable cutting edge on my loader so I don't have to cut out the original down the road. I will have to drill holes for the new one. Any ideas where I can get one? I was wondering about a snow plow cutting edge, but wasn't sure if it was too hard.

/ Front loader cutting edge #2  
You can buy grader blade cutting edges from many steel supply companies. My local one carried some 3/4" stock, but not 1/2" when I was building my toothbar. I would check that first if you have any local.

Of course if not, you could order from someone like Binkley and Hurst which is what I did for my toothbar. They actually sell the teeth as well so I ordered everything from them.

Anyhow, the 1/2" Thick x 4" Wide x 45 1/2" Long cutting edge was $28.66. I also ordered 6 teeth @$15.71 each and the total shipping to NY was $21.15 (B&H is in PA).

As I said, you will probably want to source locally, because of the shippng costs, but here is their website. I spoke with Kevin in parts and he was very helpful at the time. They were a great company to deal with.

http://www.binkleyhurst.com/

Hope this helps some,

/ Front loader cutting edge #3  
Hi Surfran. Could you post some pics of that toothbar and maybe some hints on it's construction? Did you use a cutting edge and add the teeth to that? I want to put one on my 54" loader bucket but not sure how to go about it's construction. Thanks, John

/ Front loader cutting edge #4  
John,

I thought I posted this last night, but apparently it didn't go through. I thought it was taking a long time....oh well.

Anyhow, our digital camera was broken (dropped) about 3-4 months ago and we haven't replaced it yet, so I cannot take any pictures or I would.

As for process, I bought the cutting edge, and shanks(with removable teeth) from B&H. The shanks are FFC brand that I bought. B&H does carry some other types, so there are differences to be aware of.

Anyhow, I measured what I had them provide the cutting edge to the length I needed and then took everything to a friends who has the welding equipment.

We clamped the cutting edge on the bucket and determined the best setback location for the shanks(they have a stepped profile). We split up the distances for evenness and welded them in place. Added angle iron to the sides for bolting to the bucket. We slotted the holes in the angle iron to allow the bar to align easier to the holes we drilled in the bucket.

One note (and if your a welder you probably already know) the cutting edge did warp during the welding, so you need to build it before you put the holes into the bucket for fit.

I have only used mine for one job so far......that was diggin up my septic in the fall. Lets just say that my soil is pretty rocky (mostly baseball sized rocks) and in the past it took me several hours to dig up using my rototiller and a shovel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif This time though, it was about twenty minutes and I only had to skim off the last part on the tank with the shovel.

Heck I even used the bucket to uncover the incoming line up to the point where I was down to the top of it (replacing this old cast iron line was the reason I was diggin it up)

Bottom Line: Toothbar digging RULES!!!!!!!

You can also look at a post in the past by CHIM who was the one who posted about B&H when he built his. I ended up with different shanks than he, but I owe the credit to him for source and inspiration /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck,

/ Front loader cutting edge #5  
<font color="#FF641A">Surfran, I've been meaning to reply to this to thank you for the information. It seem to me that most places are charging around $300 plus shipping for the 54" toothbars, so building it yourself saved you some money and you probably enjoyed the making. Thanks again for your time in anwering my question, sorry it was such a late reply. John</font>
CK20Action

/ Front loader cutting edge #6  
John,

No problem, glad I can help. I like to try and contribute whenever possible as I have taken so much away from this forum.

Good luck on the build, and remember post pictures if you can. Someday I will get a new Digital Camera...probably this Spring when it is time to sell the Cub 1811 I have.