John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #1  

mitchdb

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4710
This is my 1st post!

I just bought 30 acres in Central Texas. I'm thinking about buying a John Deere 2010 Bulldozer (this is all the info that was given to me). I haven't seen the machine yet, I'm going to look at it this weekend. Does anyone have any pictures of this or is this not enough info. I've searched for John Deere 2010 and all I get is wheeled tractors. I've also tried 2010 crawler and bulldozer but not a lot of luck. I just stumbled upon this website by accident, it looks like what I needed.

I don't know the numbering system of John Deere's or tractors in general, can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #2  
I typed in 2010C Deere into a Google search and one of the hits was

http://www.willinet.net/~tpaulson/tractor/2010c.htm

This site shows the serial numbers and years manufactured. Probably more hits that will show you the pictures you are looking for. This was a good, solid crawler, but how well it has been maintained will be the key to whether to buy it or not. Likely the tracks, final drives, clutch and brakes, will need to be rebuilt, and the big question will be whether you can get parts, or if you will need to build them up and machine them down (particularly the tracks). My suggestion, don't go into a deal without knowing exactly what you are going to be faced with. The right knowledgeable person could have a lot of good fun with this crawler. Usually it is not worth spending the money to fix the old critters up with the idea you will be able to sell it and make a profit. Just won't happen.

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler
Beenthere: The guy says it's mechanically sound and everything works. I'm not looking to turn a profit on restoring old equipment, I'm just looking for something that will get the job done that's not $50K. There is quite a bit of clearing on the property, mainly just underbrush, I want to keep the old pecan trees. It's fairly thick right now to even walk through, once spring rolls around, it's going to get worse.

Thanks a lot for the info, I will definitely be back with more questions.

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #4  
If I'm thinking right, that would be comparable to a 350-450 J.D. series, the next series up, but by no means accurate info.If there's someone around who's familiar with crawlers in your neighborhood, buy their expertise with a sixer, or breakfast, or lunch, or a $20 look around. Depending on what kind of ground the cat has been over really has a lot to do with track wear. A local person will know the wear rates on the rails, rollers, and pads or grousers better than anyone from out of the area. How it has been treated engine and tranny wise, I guess you'll have to look deep into their eyes, and hope to find some trust there, good luck

Brushtamers: Thanks for the info! I'll check around and see what I can find!

I'd really like to find out if this is worth the price. I know nothiing about it and I usually find out bad news after the purchase!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #6  
I own a John Deere 1010 Diesel Bulldozer.I have owned it for 5 years. I will share my personal thoughts about it with you.
I paid $5500.00 when I bought it in 1999. The drive sprockets were replaced by me at a cost of $300.00 each. Not a big deal to me. The 1010 had a "direction reverser"option. Mine has this option. Really handy thing. Basically once you are shifted into any gear all you have to do is flip a lever to change direction. What I did was purchase this crawler before I had the local John Deere constuction company rep evaluate the undercarriage. (I would suggest you have this done when you are negotiating your purchase price.) He came out to my place (for free) and did measurements on the track wear of the pins. bushings .etc. What I found out is there was only 30 per cent life left in much of the track. HOWEVER... for what I was going to be doing with it he said don't worry. This is mostly a concern for people who use the machines in commercial daily use. To me this was welcome reassurance.
I have put 678 runtime hours on the 1010 since I purchased it. It has been a good machine for my needs and has an awesome amount of torque. Highest torque is at 1400 rpm and most of my dozing is done in the 1500-2000 rpm range.
You mentioned clearing brush. This a light duty task and the 1010 is well suited for this.
About parts...
I have yet to find a part that I cannot get from John Deere for the 1010. I did replace the radiator but ended up getting an aftermarket radiator for $256.00 since the John Deere one costs $478.00.
I purchased the John Deere Service Manuals and Parts Manuals. These help me maintain and better understand the crawler.

Some history about the 1010 and 2010 crawlers...
These crawlers were the last ones made before John Deere separated their ag tractors from their construction equipment and created a new construction division. This transition period was a schizophrenic time for John Deere since they marketed both the 1010 and the 2010 in either green (ag)or yellow (construction) paint versions. This should help explain the color difference on the 2010 you are considering. The 1010 and the 2010 were re-named 350 and 450 respectively when John Deere eventually made the split.
I am sure there are people on TBN and elsewhere who will advise against your purchase but my experience has been a positive one and the 1010 has and continues to serve my needs well.
Hope this information is useful to you.
Mike

Mike, thanks a lot for the info. I wasn't able to go see the dozer this past weekend, I'm planning to go see it this weekend.

I'm glad yours is working out for you, there's still hope for those old machines. I can't imagine that there's that much difference in the old ones and new ones, maybe just the fancy transmissions that are out now. I wouldn't even consider a new one, I don't think I have enough to do to even wear out an old one. I am considering a new tractor though, do you think that a mid sized 4X4 John Deere tractor with a blade would accomplish as much as a small dozer?

Thanks again for your response, I've really learned quite a bit from the site!

-Mitch

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #8  
I've owned both a 1010 and a 2010. For what you're looking to do I'd say look for a Case 450 to tell you the truth. If you are set on Deere then look for a 450C.

/ John Deere 2010 Bulldozer/Crawler #9  
I own a 40C, a, 350C and a 5300 4X4 tractor w/loader.
The 40C is a 53 model and the 350C came out after the 2010 and the 350.
You mentioned buying a tractor. I can assure you that if you just have light brush and under growth to clean out the tractor will out perform the 2010, both in maintenance and speed, unles the ground is soft to the point of being muddy.
My 50hp 5300 will outlog and push right alongside of the dozer. With the versatility of the tractor, I would certainly weigh the option of saving the dozer money toward a good tractor. I only use my dozer for fine grading, it is equipped with a 6way blade and winch.
Have fun with your acreage

Actually your tractor is quite a bit bigger than what I am looking at, I guess I should have said compact tractor! I'm looking at the John Deere 790, 990 and 4410, all 4X4! Should I get a front blade for this size tractor?

Thanks for the response!