JD X485

/ JD X485 #1  

Captain752

I am moving from the 325/48"deck/48" front blade/MC 519 cart to the X485/54" deck/54" front blade/3-bag Power flow. I cut 3 acres and push snow, but needed a bigger machine-the 325 was a bit small, though I seldom (but not never) had complaints about the power. The 519 cart did not stand up to severe duty-the cart 's bed rusted out, the cloth cover wore out where the clippings deflected off the top of the canvas on the inside, and the coupler bent from tight turns and contact with trees, not to mention two more tires to maintain. Also I had to buy a new power flow blower because of the plastic housing wearing through where it rubs the ground.

/ JD X485 #2  
Captain,

Just wondering if you priced out the 2210 or 4010 CUTS? I went in looking at the X595 and by the time I had it set up to do what I needed, I was within $500 of the 4010.

Is the 485 gas or diesel, 2wd or 4wd? Did you get a FEL for it?

As I recall--while they were not a fit for what I needed (thankfully my salesman recognized that) they are very nice tractors. I've seen them referenced somewhere on TBN as the "ultimate lawn tractor".

Have fun with the new toy.

Bob

/ JD X485 #3  
Hope you like your X485 as much as I like mine. Presently have the blade on the front, and it plows snow very well. I couldn't do without my 519 cart though (attached). I have a hydraulic ram to dump it without either reaching back to lift it, or getting off to lift it. Shoulder problems prompted getting the lift. I have not had any rusting problems, but then keep it dry and in a shed during off season. I too, wore out the top, but have added a wide strip of rubber to protect the cover, and take the sticks and nut shells that are pretty rough on it. No problems yet with the blower, but I have only used it to pick up leaves on 6 acres of heavily wooded oak and hickory trees for the last 5 years. I am amazed at the size of stick that the blower will pass through it (I don't pick up sticks, I just grind them up with the mower and figure it helps keep the underside of the deck clean).

For the X485, there is a "blowout kit" available for the deck to keep the grass and debris from blowing out the left front corner of the deck. The kit is AM133765, and is supposed to help keep the grass and dust down while mowing. You can check it out with the dealer. That would be the only complaint I have with mine, after one summer's use. I had 425's and 445's before, all of them the all-wheel-steer, which I wouldn't do without.

Attachments

• 372211-mc519cartc.JPG
    372211-mc519cartc.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 7,343
   / JD X485
Someone explain what FEL stands for.

/ JD X485 #5  
FEL = Front End Loader

/ JD X485
Thanks to you guys for the interesting forum, and the suggestions concerning the 2210 compact tractor-I never considered it, but did look at it. I believe I fall in between the compact tractor market and the garden tractor market. I'm finish mowing 3 acres, rough mowing 1 acre, and pushing snow off 900 feet of driveway. Heavier tasks are provided by a neighbor's 480 Case w/Extend a hoe. The 325 I am trading in has definitely been overworked and is showing signs of wear-It is constantly being pushed to it's limits. I am on my second MC 519 Cart, cover and power flo blower. The rough mowing will be made easier and much more comfortable with the X485's deluxe seat and increased size and weight. I will welcome the fuel injection starting characteristics. Power steering will be very nice, too. Also, the water cooling will be much quieter as I always thought the 325 was extermely loud from the first time I started it, and the X485 is the largest frame that carries the tri flo bagger which is a necessity-I am hoping the Tri flo will work out by eliminating the cart and it's tires which were always going flat even with tubes installed and the extended length of the cart was always interfering with tight spots and trees. The 485's front blade also has hydraulic blade angling as well as the hydraulic lift. I know that the 2200 line is more tractor for about the same money, but I can't run 4WD w/Ag tires on my lawn, and like I said it needs to have a compact material collection system, and the diesel is too much engine for my needs at this time. With trade, I guess I'll be into it for about $9500 which includes the X485, 54" frt blade, 54" deck, Tri flo bagger, ballast box, chains, and 1 set extra blades and service manual. The 325, mc519 cart and 48" deck and 48" front blade as trade. 'nuff said-any casual comments?
I like the option of the FEL, but I seriously doubt i'll install one. I think the 485 is perfect-bigger than the 300's amd less tractor than the 2200 line. any imput here?

/ JD X485 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but I can't run 4WD w/Ag tires on my lawn, )</font>

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 2210 is 2WD/4WD selectable. You don't have to run it in 4WD unless you need to. Also the 2210 is available with turf tires. I don't know if there is a grass and leaf vac system available for it or not. My aunt has a 2210 that she mows her yard with and loves it. For the slightly larger size and the cost, I would have a hard time passing up the 2210 for X485 unless the vac was the show stopper and you had to have it.

/ JD X485 #8  
I also looked at the X series. I have a JD335 and the 2210. As far as maneuverability, the 2210 is darn near the same. I got the 62" Mid Mount Mower and really do like it.
Yes you can get turf tread tires, and no, you don't have to run in 4wd all the time. I hardly ever use 4wd(mfwd).
The 2210 is an awesome lawn mowing machine that has some capabilities to do other chores in needed. It is considered a sub-CUT(compact utility tractor), they are just nice enough on TBN to let us play here too!!

/ JD X485 #9  
We've had great luck with those Xseries at the dealership and only one person has returned theirs out of many satisified customers. If you have a lot of trees to go around then you made the right choice because the 2210 would not fit with the roll bar. Sweet machine they are.

/ JD X485 #10  
I maintained a 4 1/2 acre yard for 13 years with a JD 318 fitted with a 50 inch deck, in winter I used a 54 inch front blade to clear 500 feet of driveway. It never lacked for power but in heavy snow traction was limited. Unless you plan on moving to a larger property in the future I am sure the X485 will serve your needs for many years. If you don't need FEL capability you should stay with a smaller machine. Parts of my yard are broken up by buildings and small trees and my 4210 is awkward with mowing in those spots, having to fold the ROPS to mow under trees is a pain.