Is this MIG wire even usable?

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I picked up a used mig welder the other day and the seller threw in a couple 40lb spools of wire. Good deal, right? Well, he had told me the machine was set up for .045 but it's actually 1/16" flux core. I wasn't familiar with wire number so I googled it: er120s-1. Yea, 120ksi wire! Looks like the wire is intended for super strong steels like T-1. It'll be a rare day when I weld anything stronger than mild steel. Can I use this wire on mild steel or should I just dump it on craigslist?

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #2  
Use it if you can. Stronger weld metal wont' hurt anything with mild steel, just so long as you don't think you are really getting 120ksi welds...as the base steel will be the limiting factor. Just think of it like 7018 on steroids.

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #3  
I wouldn't use that wire on mild steel. It's for HY100 steel. I was on a job one time splicing I-beams. One of the weldors grabbed 110-18 out of the wrong rod oven to use. The welding inspector refused to accept the beam. Weldor had to cut the splice out, and re do with 7018.

Don't be surprised if that wire gives you nothing but trouble. Most likely it will have worm tracks in the weld. :thumbdown:

Attachments

• Worm tracks.JPG
    Worm tracks.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 436
   / Is this MIG wire even usable?
Ok, spent some time researching my options this morning and I'm not liking the 1/16" wire. I think it's just too much wire for what I'm typically going to do. I think I'd like to change the machine down to .035 or .045 and go with a flux core wire. I already have a couple of spools of .035 solid wire, but I don't have a gas regulator and will be welding outside for the moment. I do have the cylinders so to upgrade to gas will be no more difficult than buying a regulator. I want a all position wire so it's very versatile. Ease of use and appearance is important. My dealer recommended a E71T-GS wire, but I believe you can't multi-pass with it. I was thinking of a E7T-11 (NR-211). What I don't know is if this wire is copper coated. I'd like to have the coating to keep the wire from rusting before it can be used. The machine is a PowCon 550 with a feeder. On single phase I'll have 30-375 amps. Thoughts? Recommendations???

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #5  
I'm no pro weldor and barely a hack... but from a metallurgical point of view, it doesn't make sense unless your parent metal is similar. Higher KSI generally means more brittle material so it will be less forgiving right in the area where your stress concentration is (generally I say again). I wouldn't waste my time for the potential headache. But if I were a pro weldor, then I could see wanting it in my tool box. :D

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #6  
Cord I've run a little self shielded wire in the past. Hobart's 21-B, and Lincoln's NR-212 are great wires.
The 21-B weld is 1/16"
The NR-212 is .045". Both of these welds were made with a CC only engine drive welder. You'll get even better results with a CV machine.;)

Attachments

• 21B.JPG
    21B.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 176
  • NR212RF.JPG
    NR212RF.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 170
   / Is this MIG wire even usable? #7  
If the machine is already set up with the high strength wire, why not try it by making a couple fillet welds on some scrap? After you chip off the slag, get out your grinder and see how difficult it is to smooth out the contour, or try to cut it with a porta-band or hack saw. Then think about the first time you'll have to cut one of those welds out. Might be OK with a torch or plasma, but forget about a saw and you'll take a lot longer with a grinder, even with a thin cutoff blade.

As far as welding with the stuff goes, I'd pay attention to what Shield Arc is tellin' ya.

If all you're doing is welding dumpsters or BBQs, it might be OK. But if I was repairing a tractor or truck where failure of the weld might cause consequential damage, I'd hold out for a weld metal appropriate for the base metal being welded.

/ Is this MIG wire even usable? #9  
Ha! Shows what I know! :laughing: But i would give it a try and see how it works. Free is free, after all. You might be pleasantly surprised...