Proper Idle Time???

/ Proper Idle Time??? #1  

KevT

Platinum Member
Gilchrist County side of High Springs, FL
Tractor
Kubota L3901 HST w/ FEL, ST2046
When I was a weee little lad on my Daddy's farm long, long, LONG time ago, he had a Farmall V tire tractor that he always let idle when he got off to do something. He claimed it was a diesel and it only got turned off when you were done with it.

FAST FORWARD to now

I have a new Kubota L3901 and at 20hrs had to do it's first "Regen". From things I have read here it has to do with letting it idle, and if the RPMs are up it won't happen as often.

So my question is... Have tractors changed that much? Was Dad full of it? Is it better to turn off my tractor and restart it every time I rest, other wise running at a higher RPM? Or get used to doing a regen every 20 hours:confused3:

/ Proper Idle Time??? #2  
My JD 4600 is old enough that it doesn't have the pollution control setup that KevT's has. Mine always starts easy and quick, no matter what the weather. However, I still leave mine running unless it's not going to be used for 15 minutes or more.

It's easy enough on fuel that I'm not worried about the fuel consumption. The engine temperature stays more constant. There is less wear and tear on the battery and starter.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #3  
If you can find it, there is an old rather lengthy thread on this and I don't think it was ever settled. The added element of Tier IV has probably muddied the water even more and many of us have no experience with them, so our advice may be way off, sorry I couldn't be of help.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #4  
I am on your Dads' side on this one, whether I am right or not doesn't matter to me. If it is idling, then it is cooling down anyway but doing it slowly and coolant is still circulating.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #5  
My tractor luckily doesn't have a regen. I let it idle for a few minutes any longer and I shut it off.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #6  
As usual, your Dad was right.;)
As for these new "pollution fighters", I may be concerned about the heat build up.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #7  
   / Proper Idle Time??? #8  
I wouldn't idle anything with a dpf. Do a search on pickup truck forums about the pre def generation of pickup diesels that just had dpf. Some wouldn't stay reliable just driving the trucks around empty let alone idling for hours. Dpf equipped duals like to work. They HATE being idle.

/ Proper Idle Time??? #9  
Well in my book for newer generation diesels i would let idle to cool down. Two reasons, One If you engine has a turbo and been working, it needs oil to continue to circulate through the bearings to cool and lubricate them. Two The heat built up in the engine block requires circulation to prevent it boiling or hot spots within the cooling jacket.

The other factor to consider is that plain lubricated bearings, such as those supporting the crankshaft, only wear when the engine is starting. The reason for this is while there is relative movement between the crankshaft and the bearing cups the oil will be drawn in and provide a thin lubricating film. So there is no metal to metal contact while the engine is turning over, once the engine stops, the oil leaks away leaving metal to metal contact ready for startup.

My 2c anyway

Cheers Alex

/ Proper Idle Time??? #10  
Run a high quality synthetic oil and you probably will never have to worry about those issues.

Dpf on the other hand. ..