What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ?

/ What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
My Pressure Washer is capable of 3000 psi at 3gpm. After four years of homeowner use, it has begun to behave poorly. When I start the machine, the pump only produces about 500 psi. The engine runs strong but is clearly not under load. After about 5 minutes of operation, the pump will suddenly kick up to full power (about 2800 psi). Here is a picture of the Comet pump with one cap removed.

Attachments

• 386785-DCP_0669.small.jpg
    386785-DCP_0669.small.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 497
   / What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ?
There are six valves of some sort on the unit. I removed and inspected each one. They all operate and seem free of minerals. See pic.

Attachments

• 386787-DCP_0671.small.jpg
    386787-DCP_0671.small.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 400
Ok, what do I do next ?

/ What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ? #4  
Could it be as simple as air in the system and preventing the pump from moving fluid ??

I'd look at your suction side to see if maybe a hose is cracked or a fitting is messed-up.

Don't know much about pressure washers 'cept they don't make good air compressers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ? #5  
Sounds like a sticking unloader valve (pressure relief valve). I had the exact opposite problem with mine. It would not release pressure when not pumping water. I took it apart, cleaned it up and it's worked fine ever since.

Hope this helps,

Greg

/ What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ? #6  
Jerry I would agree with Greg and first suspect the pressure relief. Yours looks similar to the one installed on my machine and appears to be adjustable (large black knob in picture). Have you tried completely backing it off while running, turning it counterclockwise and then readjusting it turning it clockwise to see if that might clear any sediment and get it up to operating pressure.

The op book that came with my pressure washer also lists a worn seal or packing, worn or obstructed valves, or a worn unloader piston as possible causes. I hope some of this info helps you.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the unloader valve.

Update:

I ran the unloader valve all the way in and then back out. I'm pretty sure the unloader is the problem as it works much better now. I used the pwasher today and it only acted-up once and I could see the spring on the unloader valve pop up when it kicked back on. Next step will be to remove the valve and give a good cleaning and polish of the surfaces. Thanks again.

Also, in my first photo, you can see a brass cap to the right of the unloader valve. This cap has vent holes in it. Water drips out of this vent even with the engine turned off and no pressure in the system (other than the 50psi from the garden hose input)

/ What is wrong with my Pressure Washer pump ? #10  
Mine is about the same size as yours (3500# at 4 gpm), and the pump looks similar. We used it nearly every day in the buisiness to clean grills, and didn't have time to mess with it. About once a year it had symptoms like yours and we would just run it down the block to the sprayer company, who would give us a loaner while they fixed the unloader valve and serviced the machine. It was always the unloader.

The business is closed but I still have the washer. I don't use it as much since then, and it's been fine for the last couple of years.