Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #1  

hajameelne

Tractor
Yanmar FX265
Hello everybody.
Took a decision to buy a tractor (before used friends old soviet T-25 tractor). I watched new chinese DongFeng 254 and Foton 254, but then I saw a Yanmar FX265 (they all are about the same weight class). And by first impression this Yanmar (built 1982-1992) outperforms new chineses. Yes, chineses are with mechanical gearbox and Yanmar half automatic (something with automatic clutch), but overall handling quality and engine work is much better.
And so found this forum about Yanmar tractors.
By price comparision is T-25 2500 euros (in same age as Yanmar), pure Yanmar about 4000 euros and first chineses start from 8000 euros.
What disturbs me, is engine resource. Local shop tells me, that Japanese engine resource is 10000 hours and chinese engine 6000 hours. FX265 is in best case 25 years old and about 1100 work hours counted.
Which of them (Japanese/Chinese) will help me with home work next 10 years with less repairing? I lean to Yanmar, but maybe somebody can give some advice or tell about own experience.

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #2  
I would rather have almost anything including a Yanmar VS a Chinese tractor.

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #3  
You are asking a group, who loves their Yanmars. We all prefer older Yanmar over Chinese new.

A more realistic comparison: One dealer here several years ago first imported used Yanmars, then new Chinese. The early Chinese models had far more problems compared to the Yanmars, so he quit selling them. I don't know if Chinese quality has improved since then.

Last edited:
   / Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #4  
I have seen several aha mars over the years and everyone of them turned out to be better tractors than I was prepared to allow for. The made much of john deeres under 50 hp for many years and from what I can see they have improves their quality even more. If it is the size and function you need go for it. Dealer network is sparse so you need to be your own mechanic and work over the Internet for parts most likely but better than Chinese most likely by a long shot. That is what I think I know from a long history with tractors.

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #5  
I bought a 30+ year old yanmar vs a new chinese tractor.. I would make that same decision today ..The dealer I bought my yanmar from sold both.. He talked me out of the chinese by saying he had too many issues ,and bought some back,and was going to quit selling the chinese tractors..I bought the yanmar ,and He quit selling chinese tractors

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #6  
I would buy a yanmar, but personally go onder than the F or FX series. There is a lack of parts over here in the US and repair liturature in english for those tractors. thats not to say there bad but if you need certain parts your out of luck, but that same can be said of chineese tractors that are 10 years old or newer.

I would buy a yanmar...the newer chineese stuff is better than the older stuff but dont think i would chance it with the tractor. A yanmar bought 10 years ago is worth about the same money today.

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor #7  
https://www.hoyetractor.com

I would read the info on this site and then follow the link to the Hoye tractor site to get a better idea of the availability of parts for the older Yanmars. I did that and chose a Yanmar from Fredrick's. Its just my luck to get the one in a hundred that has an issue, but Fredrick's came to my house Friday and got it and I'm sure they will fix it. Good luck on deciding.

/ Old Yanmar versus new chinese tractor
Hello again.
>>You are asking a group, who loves their Yanmars. We all prefer older Yanmar over Chinese new.>> - This is why I asked here :) To feed my belief.
Here, other side of earth, we have few dealers of such technics and models with letters Y-something are not for sale. There are others, like Kubota, Shibaura, Iseki too, but there is a problem. We have lot of potato tillage equipment from old days and this is for potato row distance 65-70 cm (25-28 inch). On FX265 is possible to set wheel distance on axle to 140 cm (55 inch), other tractors are too narrow or with too small ground clearance. And potatos from shop - no way :thumbdown:
Repairing by myself is not problem too. If I do not know something, then must learn more, this is the life. Yes literature may be a problem, but maybe Yanmar over time gives some information out. Back in year 2000, I repaired TV from Hitachi and then they sent me full repairsman manual. This was about 100-150 pages of documentation, by paper mail.

By the way, I made a deal with seller to by it. They modify chinese ROPS and put on too. Then, after week or so, if everything is well, new/old tractor is in my home.