Hydraulic Cylinder

/ Hydraulic Cylinder #1  

southwind26

Tractor
1971 John Deere 60hp model #401AJ, serial # 190601T with a #7310 loader with 1 yard bucket. Engine type 4202DT 4 cylinder diesel, serial #279020T with detachable backhoe model # 9250 has a 24 bucket with good teeth. John Deere considered this mode
Hey everyone, I need a little help again. I have a 9250 backhoe attachment for my loader and it has a leaky stabilizer cylinder. So I got the kit to replace all the seals but I'm having a heck of time getting the rod out of the barrel. I believe the barrel is a AU40410 the rod is AU40413 (my cylinder is stamp with U40592 JD). The parts diagram show a snap ring right behind the spanner nut, but I don't see anything that looks like a snap ring. I really don't believe the only thing holding the rod is the spanner nut. Has anyone worked on this type of cylinder that can help me get the rod out?

sv400002.jpgSV400003.jpgSV400004.jpgSV400005.jpg

/ Hydraulic Cylinder #2  
It looks to me that after you take the threaded ring off you will have to push the end plug down into the cylinder. That would expose a snap ring in an internal groove in the cylinder. Remove the ring and pull the the whole unit out of the cylinder. Make sure you take any burrs off of the inside of the cylinder particularly where the snap ring goes. Any burrs there will ruin the new seals when you install them.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder
It looks to me that after you take the threaded ring off you will have to push the end plug down into the cylinder. That would expose a snap ring in an internal groove in the cylinder. Remove the ring and pull the the whole unit out of the cylinder. Make sure you take any burrs off of the inside of the cylinder particularly where the snap ring goes. Any burrs there will ruin the new seals when you install them.

Thanks Norm for the reply, I have seen the snap ring, had to wait until dark and look at it with the light. OMG is it tight, I can't even get a #8 nail in there, the ring is on the barrel wall between the threads of the spanner nut. Going to try and grind something down to try and get the ring out...

/ Hydraulic Cylinder #4  
If you push the threaded piece into the barrel of the cylinder, you will have better access to the snap ring.