How many hrs before refuel?

/ How many hrs before refuel? #1  

Ooklaa

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc1720
How many hrs are you guys getting before you hit empty and gotta refuel? Mine is at 8hrs now and my tank is almost empty. Dont care if you just driving around, digging or loading. Just wanna gather data.

Last edited:
   / How many hrs before refuel? #2  
My 37-hp/3 cylinder Kubota has a digital fuel consumption function on the instrument panel. Most operation uses .4 gallon diesel per hour.

Any implement requiring PTO power increases fuel consumption.

/ How many hrs before refuel? #3  
As Jeff points out it's gallons per hour. Most diesel CUT's will be in the .2 to .5 GPH depending on what you are doing. My Kubota B21 can run for 18+ hours on 6 gallons if I am working easily, but using higher RPM and PTO work will increase the GPH.

/ How many hrs before refuel? #4  
I worked ten hours and still had 1/3 of a tank. I think my tank holds almost 9 gallons.

/ How many hrs before refuel?
My tank holds almost 7 gallons, first 6 1/2 hrs or so were mowing lawn and leaf clean up + 1.5 maybe more of using the fel. Tank neddle moves around alot so not sure how to gauage empty or not. I assume also engines break in and mph goes up. Id be really happy with 15+ hrs on a tank of diesel. :)

/ How many hrs before refuel? #6  
Tank needle moves around alot so not sure how to gauage empty or not.

This is pretty much a universal experience. Most tractor fuel tanks are plastic. It is easy to mould plastic into irregular shapes and they usually are, therefore the indicator needles do not give accurate readings.

Be careful not to run out of diesel fuel. Your tractor may need a shop visit before it will start after running out of diesel.

Last edited:
   / How many hrs before refuel?
This is pretty much a universal experience. Most tractor fuel tanks are plastic. It is easy to mould plastic into irregular shapes and they usually are, therefore the indicator needles do not give accurate readings.

Be careful not to run out of diesel fuel. Your tractor will need a shop visit before it will start after running out of diesel.

Really? Your telling me if i run out of fuel and then pour some in it wont start?

/ How many hrs before refuel? #8  
~~~YES~~~

I am not the author of following:

If you ran it out of diesel you will need to purge all the diesel lines of air. Refill the tank and then follow the fuel line from the tank to the diesel injector pump. Bleed line going into the pump. Gravity fed to pump. Do not try to start tractor with this line open!!!! Then follow the lines from the injector pump to each cylinder. Open fuel line nut on top of each injector and bleed all air out until you have just diesel coming out. You will probably have to have someone crank the tractor to do this. Once you have all the air out of the system you should be OK and it should start back up. It may even start back up before you get to all the cylinders. Make sure you bleed all the cylinders. You may need a can of starter fluid to get it to pop off the first time. Once running leave it running until all cylinders are bled and leave it running for awhile.

Last edited:
   / How many hrs before refuel? #9  
Really? Your telling me if i run out of fuel and then pour some in it wont start?
Not really, you just have to bleed the fuel line to remove any air in the line. For mine, there's an easy to reach knob you open, crank the starter, then close it... been there and done that...

My fuel gauge will show empty after 4-5 hours (9 gallons total) then I have another 4 or so hours before it runs out... sometimes I forget to set a mental timer... :thumbdown:

/ How many hrs before refuel? #10  
I ran a tractor out of fuel. I poured in 5 gallons of of diesel and it started without any additional work.