new to me 1969 Ford 3000

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #1  

CR172

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota GR2110, 69 Ford 3000
Hey guys and gals,

I recently picked up a fairly nice Ford 3000, 8sp, live PTO, gasser. Everything works except the gauge cluster. The 3pt is slow and jerky to lift. My first plan is to replace all fluids & filters and give it a good tuneup with new plugs, wires, points, etc. I have the parts and service manuals along with an owners manual. Few questions? 1) What type/brand fluids should I be looking at? 2) coolant.... any specifics? 3) Anyone used any of the aftermarket gauge clusters? This particular one has an alternator instead of the generator.

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #2  
Lots of people change over to an alternator since you can get an alt cheaper than rebuilding the generator and replacing the voltage regulator.

for fluid, use a UTF meeting M2C134 spec. ( many store brands meet this spec.. tractor supply, walmart, rural king, etc. )

I'd flush the rear sump by adding some diesel and rubbing alcohol to the existing oil, doing a victory lap around the yard and then drain.

Green coolant is fine in a gasser.

For your gauge cluster.. here's the issue.. the generator had a worn gear on the back.. that is what drove the tach in the cluster... so without a generator.. you have no tack drive.

as for the other gauges and lamps.. there is a connector behind the cluster, there is a small fuse there.. check it.. if it's popped.. you hill have no power to the cluster.

Your oil pressure is the most important gauge in that cluster, followed by coolant temp.

the OP sender is just a switch. engine off, no oil pressure, the switch is closed. so the op section of the gauge is just a lamp hooked to power with key on.

key on, power thru a small lamp, to the op sender which is on the front top side of the engine right near the generator.. er.. alternator. ;)

Thus for temp situation just run a wire from switched power thru a small lamp to the sender.

at about 6 psi, the switch opens, and the lamp goes off.

You could also go old school and unscrew the sender and screw in a adapter with a piece of cap tube and mount your gauge up near the dash. You can get op gauge kits with a mount bracket, roll of cap tube and little bag of adapters usually for 15-20$

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000
Thanks for the reply Soundguy. How much diesel and alcohol? And do I drain the equal amount out so as not to overfill the sump?

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #4  
big sump. I dump in a gal of diesel and a couple pints of 90% alcohol and do a victory lap and drain.

Thanks again. Do I raise and lower the 3 pt while doing the victory lap? 1 more question, for now...... The 2 rubber hoses on the air intake tube. One connects the air filter housing to the metal intake tube, and the other connects the tube to the carb. Are these just pieces of 2" - 2 1/4" radiator hose? I suspect the latter to be sucking air.
tractor1.jpeg

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #6  
Looks to be in nice condition!!!! Congrats on a great little tractor!!!!

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #7  
Yup, no magic in the hoses, rad hose, etc, whatever fits.

The oil is still circulating thru the unloaded system, and there isn't enough oil trapped in the cyl and internal min to worry about.

Looks to be in nice condition!!!! Congrats on a great little tractor!!!!

Thanks Richard. It runs good, but I have everything on hand to give it a good tune-up, replacing the muffler and adding a rain cap, (I will forget to put the can over the stack), changing all drive fluids,(I checked the anti-freeze the other day and it's good to -7* and clean) and just generally going over it to get it ready for some mowing. Found a place that is closing the doors and has new Land Pride shredders for cost. I can get a new one for about 150 more than what I was looking at used. And with a slip clutch to boot.

/ new to me 1969 Ford 3000 #9  
Thanks Richard. It runs good, but I have everything on hand to give it a good tune-up, replacing the muffler and adding a rain cap, (I will forget to put the can over the stack), changing all drive fluids,(I checked the anti-freeze the other day and it's good to -7* and clean) and just generally going over it to get it ready for some mowing. Found a place that is closing the doors and has new Land Pride shredders for cost. I can get a new one for about 150 more than what I was looking at used. And with a slip clutch to boot.

Sounds like a great deal on the Land Pride equipment. Very good quality product as well.

Keep us updated with pictures as you go!!!! :)

Picked up this new 5ft Landmark shredder last weekend. Found a guy that after 38 years of business, he decided it was time to retire. This came with the slip clutch and was priced just a bit over half of msrp.... All the used ones I was looking at were shear pins and were about the same price as this one. Had to drive 2 hrs each way to get it, but feel it was worth it. Now I'm looking for a good box blade, not new unless the same type of deal happens. Would a 6ft box blade be too big for this tractor? I believe the width of the rear tires would be just at the edge of a 5ft blade. brushhog.jpeg