"digging" a trench

/ "digging" a trench #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
\"digging\" a trench

I have to put in a water line, I am thinking 1" PVC probably 12" deep probably 200'

I was thinking of a sub soiler or a middle buster from TSC / Rural king, making multiple passes, then removing the broken soil with a trenching shovel.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions.

It would be $100 but I would have the tool still if I wanted to do more later.

/ "digging" a trench #2  
Re: \"digging\" a trench

The only suggestion I can make is that you put it at 24" below the surface for more protection against breakage and freezing. I believe that is the code requirement in my jurisdiction and it makes sense for the reasons I stated. I see no reason the sub soiler wouldn't work with, as you say, multiple passes. My brother has used a similar tactic with good results. John

/ "digging" a trench #3  

Ahhh.....the simplicity of living in warmer parts of the country /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Around here I believe that code is 36" and most people I know prefer to go to 40"-44" jsut to be safe. I believe MN code is 48", and around the Canadian border is as much as 60"-72"

Dave

/ "digging" a trench #4  

Here is a good step by step put together by WVBill on how to lay pipe using a subsoiler. I plan to use his tecnique to lay about 200 foot of 1 inch poly pipe this summer. I will put the pipe about 10 -14 inches deep. I will only use it for water supply in the summer. My property is on a slope so I won't have any problem draining the lines.

Laying pipe the WVBill way!

/ "digging" a trench #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is a good step by step put together by WVBill on how to lay pipe using a subsoiler. )</font>

I had missed that post. Thanks for the link. His is a
wonderfuly slick solution.

Cliff

/ "digging" a trench #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe MN code is 48", and around the Canadian border is as much as 60"-72"
)</font>

Wheww...imagine how deep you'd have to dig once you were well into Canada! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin

/ "digging" a trench #7  

<font color="blue"> I was thinking of a sub soiler or a middle buster from TSC / Rural king, </font>

Alan
Consider the Middle Buster. It has a longer shank which will allow you to dig deeper. A Sub Soiler blade can be put on the Middle Buster.

/ "digging" a trench #8  

JWE, thanks for posting that thread from WVBill. That method is going to save me a lot of trouble. Thanks again, John

/ "digging" a trench #9  

JWE
Thanks! I was reading through the thread and thinking "I'll go search for my post " and you've done it for me!

I must note, however that the original idea came from another TBN member - I think I just documented the process in pictures.

/ "digging" a trench #10  

One thing to consider is putting 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe into the ground and then pulling 1" water pipe through it. That way, if it needs to be replace at any time in the future it is a quick and easy job to do. If you check at the electrical supply house, you will find that you can purchase PCS very inexpensively and the total additional cost is very little. I only wish that I had done this when I installed my water line from my well 20 years ago. If I ever have to replace it, it is going to be a major job because it goes under my garage floor and the only way into the cellar now is to go all the way around to the back of the house and that is going to be a lot of digging, lawn repair and expense. At the time, I though that I didn't want to spend the additional $50 with all the other expenses of building the house..... now I realize that it was a small amount to pay for the convenience. Also, the price of PVC has come down considerably today, so it will cost you a lot less.