PTO extender

/ PTO extender #1  

JerryT

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4400
Does anyone know where I can get a quick connect PTO extender. I have found extenders with a thru hole for pin attchment to the PTO, but my PTO does not have a thru hole. It seems as though there should be extender with the standard lock mechanism. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks

/ PTO extender #2  
you sure it's not just full of grease & crud so you don't see it immediately? I had to scrape mine to find it. (too much grease)

/ PTO extender #3  
You sure your pto doesn't have a thru hole? All my tractors do.. even the 40's and 50's era fords and my jd - B..

You could get a spring loaded over running coupler and pop it on.. the thumb spring locks into that indent past the first section of splines.. Tsc carries them.. It will also extend that pto stub out oh say..6 more inches..
If you don't have the hole.. that is probably your only way to go.

Get a nail and poke around.. sometimes they get full of dirt / grease completely cover over and you can't find them..

( guess you could get a macine shop to drill it for you?$$$?)

Soundguy

/ PTO extender #4  
I don't believe I have ever seen one, the quick connect mech. would probably double the price of a simple extender, nor have I ever heard of a pto shaft without a hole in it.

/ PTO extender #5  
Yeah... the quick connect orc is about 1.5 times the price of the pinned on one. There are two styles... One is a push button release.. TSC and many farm stores carry it. I've also seen a spring loaded collar style .. and have seen them in catalogs.. but not in local stores... the collar ones were even pricier than the button style..

I agree though.. I've not seen a pto without the hole... Even the stub extenders have it.

I wonder is there is a dowel or roll pin broke off in there.. or if some guber welded or brazed on thepto to fix the splines and welded it up? Very remote possibility I guess..

Soundguy

/ PTO extender
Thanks everyone. Mine is a JD 4400 and you may be right about the hole. I have looked, but I haven't poked around. Boy I am going to feel stupid (again) because I actually bought one from TSC sometime back and returned it because I did not see a good way to keep in on. If any of you JD cut people know that there is a hole, break it to me gently.

/ PTO extender #7  
A 4400 most deffinately has a standard asae cat 1 pto setup.. unless someone filled the hole... grab a nail and clean those splines..

Soundguy

/ PTO extender #8  
Good morning. I am a new member that has been lurking around TBN for quite awhile now and have been able to use tons of information read here. It is now time that I chip in with help when I can. Agri Supply is where I purchased a PTO extender. 19.95 with the release. Part #11971

/ PTO extender
Thanks Joemama, I am checking with Agri Supply but they are short on service techs today. There specs do not indicate wether its a quick release or requires a thur hole and pin. This weekend I checked the PTO and there is no hole. I went to a machinist friend, borrowed his best bit, and tried to drill a hole. After a few minutes I heard the shaft laughing and sure enough, the bit didn't even scratch the surface. Now I am back to a "quick release" adapter. If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

/ PTO extender #10  
Jerry,
Here is the page from Agri-Supply's catalog that shows the adapter that Joemama mentioned. Bottom of page 5. It is a quick release pin type
Agri-Supply

Jerry