Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha!

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #1  

VMacKenzie

A friend bought a 1990 vintage Massey Ferguson 4x4 for $2200 which is in good shape but with a terrible running 3-cylinder 16hp Toyosha diesel. It's indirect injection, inline pump. The tach is dead and shows 4700 hours. It starts hard and blows billowing clouds of white & blue smoke and misses erratically. We thought it could be sucking air but there doesn't seem to be any leaks and a new fuel filter didn't help.

He put a major dose of Stanadyne or something in it and after a few hours it cleared up considerably and starts easier now. Still misses a lot though.

I consulted a friend who works at a diesel injection shop, he said to pull the injectors and he'd go through them, so we did.

We found on cyl #3 the copper gasket that seals between the head of the injector and cylinder quite disintegrated and combustion had been blowing around between the injector body and bore. It was totally packed with carbon and made it a PITA to remove the injector. While we had it tore apart we found the injection pump was about out of oil so we drained then refilled with 6.5 oz. of Delo 400 15w40.

The injectors were in bad shape but they're all rebuilt now, flow and pop-off balanced and ready to go back in, but we are unable to chase down a new set of copper gaskets!

Any ideas?? The injection shop gave me the blank stare when I said it was a Toyosha. . . "never heard of Toyosha" they said. Great. Can't find much on the 'net either. I don't know the tractor model but I am finding that out.

Thanks everyone,
Vaughn

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #2  
Vaughn,
My uncle has a MF210 that I believe was manufactured by Toyosha. It is 2 wheel drive but I think that it is older than 1990 vintage. The story I heard on it is that the Japanese company that made it for MF was either absorbed by another company or went out of business and now it is an "orphan" with mediocre parts support. We put a water pump on it last year and were able to find the part at one of the three dealers within driving distance.
Did you have the injection pump checked out while rebuilding the injectors and do you have dimensions on the copper washer gaskets that you need?

Jeff

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #3  
Vaughn,
Like Jeff says, get a vernier caliper and measure the washer's inside diameter, outside diameter, and thickness. I'd first check local harware and fastener stores like Lowes, etc. There's nothing special about these copper washers other than dimensions. Next, I would try an on-line hardware supply like McMaster-Carr. If no joy there, I would call or email an on-line diesel supply like DESSCO.com (Diesel Engine Service and Supply CO.). They may be able to match it up. If all else fails, I would think a local machine shop could punch some out of the proper thickness copper sheet. Just make sure it's annealed. Good luck,

Bill in CO

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #4  
Vaughn I needed some copper washers for a Chinese tractor that I used to own. I went to Auto Zone to get them. A lot of copper washers are used in brake parts and are interchangeable. BTW the washers are normally kept behind the counter since they are so small you will need to ask the counter guys for assistance.

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #5  
The Toyosha built then could be a 1030, or 1035, they both had 3 cylinders.
Chuck M

/ Copper injector gaskets for 3-cyl M-F Toyosha! #6  
16hp sounds like a 1010. Good luck finding or making the part, sounds like some good options here...