Ready to Order This Month - But what to order?

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
I've decided that I'm going to order a Powertrac rather than a Jinma or Kioti CUT since most of what I need to do is in the woods on a rather steep lot. The lack of 3-pt. hitch is not a problem for me.

The only thing I can't decide is whether to get the PT422 or PT425.

Scott at Powertrac said that he thinks the PT425 would be better because of the power and weight. That may be the case, but I'm not sure what 'better' is. The $2,000 price difference (actually $2,500, but the ROPS is $500 for the 422) is a lot for me. I do realize that the lift height is less on the 422.

Since the mini-hoe and bucket will handle everything I need to do, and all of the same equipment works on both, what advice can anyone offer? Obviously, you guys are the experts; I've read nearly everything in the forum.

I don't mind if the 422 is SLOWER to accomplish the same tasks as the 425, just so it can do them. Taking twice as long is not a problem in my current situation.

Thanks!
Mark H.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #2  
I've just gone thru the same process, I chose the 422, should be here in a day or 2. I think Ive read every link pro and con the 422 and came to the conclusion that if the 425 was a great machine before the recent upgrades and price increase and if the 422 is basically the same machine as the old 425 with the exception of the slightly smaller engine i'll take it and keep that $2500 difference.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order?
Congratulations on your purchase.

I look forward to seeing what you think.

Do you have hills where you will be operating?

Mark H.

PS-Welcome to the forum.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #4  
My only suggestion is if you get the 422, do get the ROPS. It isn't just a rollover bar, but also a pretty good FOPS - falling object protection system. There was a recent post about a chunk of dead tree clanging off the canopy. I've heard similar on my 1845. It makes a believer out of you.
Other than some coil/cold start problems, which I understand updates to have cured, I've not seen any complaints about the 422, and a lot of guys on here have posted that they liked them. If you only have one machine, you'll never know how the other compares. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #5  
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful family of PowerTrac owners.
Please keep us updated on your projects and pictures if possible. We love to hear about new ways to do things. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
PJ

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #6  
Either machine will do a great job for you. If possible try and look down the road two or three years from now and the projects you may have. What machine will do the best job for you.
I elected for the 425 but after some of my projects I probably should have gone one larger. On the other hand when I finish the current projects (5 years worth) I will have a need for only the 425.
PJ

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #7  
I am also new to the group after having looked for nearly a year at the power trac (web site and this forum) and comparing it mainly to the kubota bx series. I am sold on the 422 and am ready to make my order. I will mainly be using the pt for landscaping around the home (bucket and box blade and maybe a mini hoe at this time) and am not sure if I should get the bar tires or the turf tires (not planning on a mower at this time) Any suggestions out there?

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #8  
I have a earlier pt425. It has worked excellent and have been happy with my purchase. My main complaint would be lack of hydralic motor power on the wheels. The new PT425 has much better motors and if I could, I would switch mine in a minute. I use my tractor in the woods a lot going up and down hills, a 4inch log going up a steep hill will bog the tractor down. I have learned to live with this by keeping my speed up or wiggling over objects. I also think that getting service on a kohler motor in northeast Connecticut is easier than a Robin motor. I have also heard nothing but good things about Robin motors except for the cold starting problems on this web site. My gut feeling is a Robin (Subaru) motor is probly going to be a better motor but the bigger wheel motors on the PT425 are a huge plus in my book.

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #9  
<font color="red"> the bar tires or the turf tires </font>
I have turf tires on my 1845, and am in the process of getting a set of bar treads. The turfs have been fine in every condition except mud. Even in deep snow, they've worked well with the snow blade. In mud, however, they are not good since they fill the tread and become slicks. Turfs are better on grass, but I understand that even the bar treads are pretty gentle because of the PT articulation. Anyone have bar treads on a 422 or 425 that can comment?

/ Ready to Order This Month - But what to order? #10  
<font color="blue"> In mud, however, they are not good since they fill the tread and become slicks. </font>

I agree. They plug with mud very easily. The turfs are great in the grass. In the snow, following the plow on our paved driveway, I believe turfs provide superior traction to bar tires because there is more rubber contacting the cleaned pavement than there would be with bar treads. However, I have noticed on side slopes in snow or wet grass, that I crab sideways and tend to slide down the hill as the tires spin. Here, I believe bars would do better, but have no hands on proof. I eagerly await your evaluation of both types. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif