Non differential walk behinds?

/ Non differential walk behinds? #1  

freedomlives

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TS35F, Goldoni Special 140 with powered trailer -- Goldoni Special 128 -- Goldoni Uno for mowing -- Czech Vari system
How do they turn? Are both wheels connected solidly through the axle, or is there a half-locking / free-wheeling device like on the rear hub of a bicycle?

My Czech mower is just too slow, so, I need another walk-behind, because my Goldoni doesn't have reversible handle-bars, so it can't be used for mowing or raking hay. A lot of the walk behinds with mower bars I see in Italy are like the BCS 720 without a differential, so I wonder how turning works on them.

/ Non differential walk behinds? #2  
My BCS725 had a solid axle, turning is muscle and leverage. Turning was not real hard, maybe harder with the tiller, mowers not so much. But having a differential does make a big difference the older I get. One reason I ended up with a 850

/ Non differential walk behinds? #3  
I agree with cmyoung2, I have a 720 with a tiller. It took a bit of effort to turn it around to make another pass. On concrete the one wheel will skid a little and might live a little black mark from the tires. I also have a 739 which does have a differential and you can really tell the difference. There are several other features I like on the 739 over the 720 but the differential is definitely the feature that makes the most difference to me.

/ Non differential walk behinds? #4  
Might not be the worst thing. My Gravely would turn too easily if the mower hit something off to one side, smashing you with the handle bars and steering lever.

Should've kept it though. I am gaining too much weight not running after that thing. I guess it wasn't possible to drink beer and cut the grass either!

/ Non differential walk behinds? #5  
Planet Jr. tractors have a pair of ratchet pawls on either side, like you are proposing.

A small flaw here is that when going around corners, the inside wheel is the one still being driven at the same speed as straight,, and the outside wheel is now freewheeling faster. Combined with the swing of the handlebars forcing you to walk a larger radius (as opposed to same speed when walking in a straight line) means you have to almost run to make a sharp turn. Will pull like a dickens though for as long as you have traction. Also means it is easy to make straight rows as you have to put some effort into turning (easy way is to pop the belt clutch and walk it around a corner, then latch it back into drive once you are pointed where you want to go.)

When hitched to a wagon and riding instead of walking the effect is also much less noticeable.

Other side effect is that when pointed downhill both sides freewheel and you either have to slow down with your feet or hang on for the ride. No brakes unless you want to just drop the nose (or perhaps, a plow) into the dirt.

/ Non differential walk behinds? #6  
Might not be the worst thing. My Gravely would turn too easily if the mower hit something off to one side, smashing you with the handle bars and steering lever.

Should've kept it though. I am gaining too much weight not running after that thing. I guess it wasn't possible to drink beer and cut the grass either!

Our BCS 749 has a differential lock. Easy and quick to switch using a lever on the handlebars from an open differential to a solid axle and back to an open differential.

/ Non differential walk behinds? #7  
DSC01382.JPG

At times like this, I would have loved a solid axle, better yet, def lock!

/ Non differential walk behinds? #8  
Hello freedomlives,

My old Troybilt is like that too, you have to pull them around
unless you have room to make circle to the next row.

I though the BCS and the Grillo both had individual differential locks mounted on the
handlebars for each wheel???

/ Non differential walk behinds? #9  
My only solid axle machine is resting in its above ground grave,,,

DSC_0046535x640-1.jpg

it has been replaced.

Replaced by machines that have a differential.

5260h_zpsc3df8fe8.jpg

I now have zero use for the TB!!:dance1:

I guess I kinda got caught by the Gravely "bug",,,, :confused2:

/ Non differential walk behinds? #10  
Hi! They are Walk Behind with solid axle as Troy-Bilt Horse. Gravely have differential but no locking device. BCS and Grillo can have differential and locking .
But they are one other kind of Walk Behind tractor. Agria makes one, Kubota and Yanmar and other Asian Big Walk Behind, These tractor does not have differential but two steering clutchs one for each wheel. As buldozer, A very good system. Tractor act as a solid axle. You press one wheel lever free this wheel and if you press more brake this one. You can turn very short. Better than a differential
Because with differential when you brake (You lost energy) one wheel you transfer power and speed at other wheel this one turn 2x more fast. Not very good. I would like try this kind of walk Behind. Good Luck! Oldmech