Bucket size?

/ Bucket size? #1  

Tinmann

Tractor
3710 HST
I now own a 509 Bradco Backhoe with a 16" bucket. I run the backhoe with a Kubota 3710. What I would like to know what one's opinion would be on purchasing a 12" bucket. The price is $510 and am not sure if the price is really worth it. I think the 16" is too wide at times and would like a narrower bucket. What is your opinion?

/ Bucket size? #2  
Tinmann, I have a 16" and a 12" bucket for my Kubota B21. The 12" bucket cost about $350 for mine. I am sure you have a heavier bucket so the $500 is about right. I bought a 12" because I spend so much time digging away at rock and the narrow bucket puts less side stress on the bucket pins. Many that do a lot of trenching for utilites like the 12" so as not to tear up as much turf. I am not sure what you are looking to do. A 16" bucket is considered the standard for general work by most. If you are not interested in having two buckets, you might look into having a welding shop cut down your 16" to what ever size you want. Bet it would cost less than buying a new bucket.

MarkV

/ Bucket size? #3  
Hi Tinmann,

My thoughts went like this: I want a (relatively) narrow bucket for trenching, digging around tree-roots, etc., so as not to move (and have to replace) any more dirt than necessary. So I bought my tractor with a 12" bucket attached.

I also wanted to have a wider bucket for soft-dirt "big hole" digging, and truck-loading, etc, so as not to waste a lot of time by "eating with a baby spoon". So I bought a 24" bucket with MORE THAN twice the capacity of the 12",...i.e. less than half the number of "spoonfulls (TIME!,... also wear on hoe mechanism!). Price for the 24" was $508 (JD 48 backhoe). I checked several dealers,... price was the same everywhere.

Just one man's approach, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Larry

/ Bucket size? #4  
I guess it depends on what kind of digging you need to do and in what kind of soil.

I have an 18 inch bucket that I bought with the backhoe instead of a 12. The 18 seems to be a good compromise between a larger bucket and a smaller one. If I was digging alot of power, water, or sewage trenches I might want a 12 inch bucket. Sometimes when I'm going after small tree stumps a 12 inch bucket would be better since it would not disturb the soil as much. On the other hand I usually need the larger bucket so the 18 inch is working out real well. I certainly could not justify spending $500 on another bucket.....

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty