PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints?

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #1  

Dingbat

Tractor
YM 1700
Are there lessons learned out there on hooking up to the PTO /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? After much cussing etc. finally got the finish mower hooked up to the PTO but there has to be an easier way. For instance, I think it is easier to hook up the 3pt to a box blade or other heavy implement if it was set on a raised platform (true?). Are there other such hints? Tnx! Steve

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #2  
Take a look at Pat's Easy Change or any of the Quick Hitch systems out on the market.

I installed Pat's and can tell you that my knuckles have not been bloody, my 9 year old daughter has not learned any new cuss words, and life is generally better for everyone within earshot of me when I change implements.

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #3  
I keep all my implements in a shop with a concrete floor. I went to Rural King and got a stack of wheeled dollys. I can roll them to a good position 360 degrees. It makes storing and installing them so much easier.

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #4  
Make sure the stay chains/turnbuckles are good and greased so that you can adjust them easily. When I hook up to anything I raise the 3 point hitch up, back the tractor up and lower the hitch down on top of the pins. Get off the tractor and spread the lift arms out and hold the lift arms so they down fall. I let them ease down until at least one of the lift arm balls catches the pin. Then I get the other on and set the top link. That works with about everything but a middle buster or anything that won't stand up on it's own. Down try to back up with the lift arms dead even with the lift pins. Drop them on top.

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #5  
Some people make carts with casters to put their implements on. You roll it up to the tractor.

I got a speeco quick hitch. If it got stolen I'd buy another tomorrow. Best $200 spent.

I also added a hydraulic top link.

My shreader pto shaft was hard to get started on the pto output shaft. I took a small file and beveled the end of the mower pto shaft spline opening. It starts much easier now.

This is a good post. Hope others think and add to it.

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #6  
When dropping an implement off on an uneven dirt/gravel surface, such as my barn floor, I always drop til one side touches the ground then block up the other side so it is even with the tractor. This assures both lower arms will be even with the pins when you hook back up.

/ PTO (and 3 point) Hookup Hints? #7  
All my 3 pt equipment ( 'cept the spreader ) stays out in the field up on wood blocks.. T hook up.. I rais arems.. back up to implement.. drop arms right over pins, and then hook up the fixed arm.. then I use the adjustable arm to make it easy to finagle with. Sometimes if it is stubborn.. I use the drawbar as a prybar... I doubt it takes me more than a couple minutes to hook up anything.. including the disc or mower. Used to take me 5+.. guess it is something you get better at.

Soundguy