Leaky battery on new Farmall

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #1  

blackjack

Bronze Member
Tractor
CaseIH DX33 Farmall
I opened the hood on my new DX33 last weekend and what did I find??? Battery corrosion! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've only used it twice and have just over 4 hours on the clock. The upsetting part of this whole deal is that CNH has know about the leaky battery problem and said they have it fixed in the new models. Guess not. I called my dealer and will drop it off to them this Saturday. I mentioned that I want an sealed Optima battery as a replacement, so we'll see what happens. Any other new model owners have this problem yet??

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #2  
Yep, got a TC33DA(20hr). Looked yesterday and there was water on the left side of the battery tray, wiped it up. Looked on the right side, one of the bolts to the frame was completely covered in white stuff. Looks like they need more work on the problem.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #3  
My Cub Cadet was the same way when I got it. What kind of battery is in it anyway? The Cub Cadet name brand batteries are garbage.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall
I don't remember off hand who makes the batter for CIH. I dropped my tractor off at the dealers yesterday and the service manager had a sealed gel battery ordered to put in. He went out and looked at another DX33 on his lot and the same thing there.....so apparently this problem isn't fixed yet.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #5  
This issue is the same one that the New Holland Boomers have. I was really hopeful that it had been fixed on the Farmall line.

The problem is that the acid splashes around inside the battery and gets forced out the vents as the battery off-gases. The battery CNH (Case New Holland) uses seems to be very prone to this problem. As long as the battery reads between 13 and 15 volts when the tractor is running, the charging system is probably okay and is not overcharging the battery.

The solution is to remove the battery, wash everything down with baking soda and water to neutralize any stray acid, and install a different battery. People have had good results with a sealed battery, gel cell battery, or spiral cell / paste battery. The best option is the last one. "Sealed" batteries actaully do have vents and can still leak acid. Gel cells are a fairly good option, but a spiral cell / paste battery, such as an Optima Battery, is the best. There are other brands, but the Optima website is here - http://www.optimabatteries.com. Read the FAQ for some info. on them. You can buy them online from a few different web sites or get one from a local battery shop. My TC33D takes the model 51 Optima (you can use a model 51R by turning the battery around - it still fits fine). It was only available in a yellow top when I bought it, the red top may be available now (see the website for the difference).

If your tractor is under warrantee you can try to get the dealer to replace the OEM battery, but you will have the same problem all over again. I didn't want to watch my machine corrode away waiting for them to fix it.

Good Luck!

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #6  
When we got a new JD 990 in the shop I looked at that battery and it had a puddle on top by one of the 2 caps. Mine had the same problem but the acid stayed on top of the battery. I was very lucky.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #7  
The battery acid problem is rediculous on these NH/Case compacts. I can't believe this is still an issue. I have a Case DX29 which seems to also have the problem. I have owned and operated tractors for years and NEVER considered this a problem with any of them. What kind of mickey mouse batteries are they putting in them? It sounds like the Optima battery is an option but Lead/acid batteries have been used in tractors and construction for countless years.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Lead/acid batteries have been used in tractors and construction for countless years. )</font>

My 1945 Farmall BN and my 1951 Farmall Cub have always had traditional lead acid batteries. The battery boxes and surrounding equipment on both tractors have suffered acid damage over the years. I've carefully cleaned and repainted the area. If Optima made a 6 volt battery that would fit I'd install them.

/ Leaky battery on new Farmall #10  
During a big flood my co-worker took the 'bota out in deep water, it was right below the battery compartment but still got corroded so its normal i guess. Wasnt the best idea for Kubota to put the battery right up front.