metal shavings in engine oil

/ metal shavings in engine oil #1  

trctrinnm

Hello,

While checking the engine oil in my 25 hp farm pro tractor (10 hrs use showing on meter, 3 1/2 hrs when delivered to me) I saw what looked like very fine copper colored metal shavings in the engine oil on the dipstick. Is this a usual thing? Or is something terribly wrong?? I would like to have some idea before calling the people I ordered it from. Thanks for your help.

/ metal shavings in engine oil #2  
well, couple more things that might help. first, was the fluids all new, as in changed from the chinese fluids, when you bought it? or was the original chinese fluids still in it? did oil pressure fluctuate or drop from time of original purchase? there's been a whole lot of 'farm-pro' goofs on a lot of threads as far as fluid recommendations, and it may be hard to tell even what they had in it. we leave the original fluids in the tractors and recommend a change of all fluids and filters after 5-10 hours of break-in. you may want to change oil filter and the oil with shell rotella 15w-40 and see how some of the oil looks after a couple more hours.
from some of the other posts we've seen, it's hard to tell what farm pro may have in it for oil

/ metal shavings in engine oil #3  
I have asked them (Farm Pro) and they do same as you, leave the Chinese oil in for break in. I would change the oil, Rotella or Delo, or other diesel rated oil, (no synthetics till more hours)and check it again. Metal shavings are not unheard of, but you should keep an eye on it.

Als while yoru at it, if you have a front loader you should change the front diff oil to a good gear oil right away.

The hydraulic oil will want to be changed to a "universal" or 303 or even a AW32 or 10W hydraulic oil, it is a separte sump so the oil does not have gear lube duty.

I would notify your dealer or Homier if you bought from a road show, to make a record of your finding. Later if you develope low oil pressure or knocking or blue smoke, you know you have an engine problem, otherwise it could just be the residue from the break in of the engine.

/ metal shavings in engine oil
I was told by the dealer I bought it from that they had changed all the fluids in the tractor--15w40 engine oil, standard tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid for the hydraulics and transmission.

/ metal shavings in engine oil #5  
Metal shavings in a motor is a sign of worn parts or failed bearings.

/ metal shavings in engine oil #6  
yep, it is definitely a sign of something going on that's not supposed to be!! could be a number of things, but i sure would be contacting your dealer and get everything documented. we used to change all fluids when we assembled the tractors, but others were advising to leave the original fluids in for a few hours. i don't recall ever getting any shavings out of any tractors when changing the fluids. could have a thrust washer out, a faulty rod or crank bearing, twisted rod, poorly machined rod end cap, like i said, a number of things. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ metal shavings in engine oil #7  
I would not be that concerned unless it is excessive,Many new or rebuilt engines gas or diesel will produce minor shavings,a very light metalic as they "break in" Id put 15-20 hours on it,change your oil and filter it should be much improved

/ metal shavings in engine oil #8  
Shavings like off a metal lathe or metal flake like off a file. Shavings is a problem. Flakes may or may not be.