Help identifying and parts finding.

/ Help identifying and parts finding. #1  

Animosus

Tractor
Satoh S370D, Ford 8N
I just bought a Satoh 4wd diesel tractor and it's been having some trouble starting. I decided to take a look at it and both glow plugs ohm out open and from what I've read the starter should draw less than 65amps? It cranks fairly slow and is drawing 220 amps.

So I want to go ahead and replace both glow plugs and the starter. I guess I need to figure out what I own first, parts seem to be decently easy to find, I don't know if there is a preferred vendor that people have had success with?

Attachments

• vK5oDYu.jpg
    vK5oDYu.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 78
  • HE1Hh7q.jpg
    HE1Hh7q.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 87
   / Help identifying and parts finding. #3  
Starter amp draw can vary quite a bit. One of my tractors with a KE75 engine will draw over 350 A when cold (winter.) Some of the amp draw goes to pumping cold old around the hydraulic system along with cold engine oil of course. Most of the starters are rated somewhere between 0.9 and 1.2 kW which would equate to around 100 A. They commonly can draw much more so I wouldn't think yours is out of line.

You definitely need to have correctly working glow plugs for these engines to start decently.

/ Help identifying and parts finding.
So I ended up putting two glow plugs in it and pulling the injectors and cleaning them. It would still just crank and not fire. It finally got to the point that the solenoid would just click and it would not crank at all. Ordered a starter from rareelectric on amazon. Was a bit scared to dish out the $140 because one review said it was great and the only other said it was the wrong one and they ended up paying restocking fees and such. Came in the mail today, swapped starters. Ran the glow plugs for 15 seconds and it fired right up, smoked for a few minutes and cleared right up.

I can justify buying a seat and stuff for it now. So glad to have it running.

/ Help identifying and parts finding. #5  
Glad to hear you got it working well. How many amps is it drawing now with the new starter?

/ Help identifying and parts finding.
It is drawing 142 amps now.