Decision time on finish mower, the choices are...

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #1  

Tomahog

Tractor
Kubota 3830 GST
I need to go ahead & make a purchase on a 6' finish mower. I have looked high & low and come up with the following choices. I really appreciate everyone's input so far & would be interested in your thoughts on the final decision.

All of these are 72" rear discharge units.

First Choice - $1,400 delivered w/ anti scalp roller. no tax

Midwest - $1,500 delivered (not sure on roller) no tax

Woods - $1,800 + tax local dealer (not sure on roller)

Landpride FDR 2572 - $1,950 + tax - 30 miles away

Bush Hog - $1,800 + tax - 30 miles away

Bueller-Farm King - $1,775 + tax (local dealer)

USED Woods RD 8400 - $1,550 local dealer (I assume no tax)
last years model & has been used 4 times
but looks a little more worn than that to me...

I guess that the tax would be about $100 +/- and the anti scalp roller is about $100 also.

I think any of them will probably be fine. I am mowing 4-5 acres of open lawn about once a week.

Thanks!

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #3  
Tomahog, I checked pretty much the same models as you have. I went with the First Choice mower. Build quality alone would have justified the purchase, but add the price for what you get it, was a no brainer. Several colors are available as well. (i.e. Green, Blue,Orange,Red) I have used it for several months now. I did not get the pneumatic tires however because I thought that they would become a problem, but I read on this forum that one guy uses Green Slime in his tires and hasn't had a problem. (Good Idea) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #4  
I looked at the picture of the First Choice mower on your web site and it sure looks like a LandPride FDR2572. It looks so much like a LandPride that I can't believe they can legally copy something so precisely! If it's built as strong and is as reliable, then it's a really good deal. I've used my LandPride for 4 seasons now and it's still like new, so they hold up well.

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #5  
<font color="blue"> If it's built as strong and is as reliable, then it's a really good deal. </font>
Danny--It runs as good as it looks--We have really had no problems with these machines and have hundreds sold from our 2 stores in the last 4 years--48 inch to 84 inch--Of course,like all machines, Occasional wear parts are needed and we have plenty--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Used 7 ft to 10 ft Grain Drills for Foodplots> $795 to $1295*

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #6  
If your looking at a used one I would take a few days and find out where the farmers hang out for their morning coffee. In central Illinois they are easy to spot and I assume they would just as easy anywhere else. Their usual spots are coffee shops, Hardees or McDonalds. Just walk up introduce yourself and ask for their help in locating a decent used mower. They are normally very helpful and know about all the equipment in the area for sale or even who is thinking about selling. I picked up a 72" landpride rear discharge for $900.00 and it was damm near new. I also found a rear scraper blade for $20.00. It was rough but still very serviceable. Its worth a try to save a grand.

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #7  
I cast my vote for the First Choice. IMO it is the best mower regardless of price.

Sorry, guys that don't agree.

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are...
Yes Ken, That's your quote. Hope you don't mind me posting it. It was the best quote I could find!

/ Decision time on finish mower, the choices are... #9  
Bob Skurka has a Befco mower. Not sure if there is a dealer around you or not.