Breaking tractor in half?

/ Breaking tractor in half? #1  

rockquarry

Tractor
New Holland TC29
Do I need to worry about breaking my tractor in half if i put 700-1000lbs on the 3 pt and a full load of gravel in the bucket?

I bought a used tc29 with a 7308 loader and no weight on the back. After about a month of moving rock and gravel i decided i needed some weight on the back so bought a carry all and put rock that im guessing weighs about 500lbs on it and now I can pick up and move afull load of gravel or several large rocks but know worry about breaking the tractor? should i be concerned? since NH says the loader can carry 800lbs and the 3pt can lift 1200lbs, is it safe to do it at the same time?

Jeff

/ Breaking tractor in half? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( is it safe to do it at the same time? )</font>

If you stay within the specifications of the tractor, you should have no problem. The weight on the 3PH is mostly on the rear wheels and the weight on the FEL is mainly on the front wheels. The breaking force is really not the sum of the two loads. Granted, the shock of moving over rough terrain would make this a live load on both ends, but I'll bet if you are loaded this much, you won't be setting any world land speed records on smooth ground, much less rough ground. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think you will be just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif What do you have in mind?

/ Breaking tractor in half?
Ill get some pictures on here soon of what I have in mind. you guys will think Im crazy but Ill explain when you see the pics.

/ Breaking tractor in half? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do I need to worry about breaking my tractor in half if i put 700-1000lbs on the 3 pt and a full load of gravel in the bucket? Jeff )</font>

Jeff,

I did a lot of FEL work with my TC29 and a very strong Woods loader. I usually used a 5' Woods brush cutter for ballast. I ran over a lot of rough ground, and had the front and back loads bouncing at the same time. No problems whatever.

Of course, your results may vary! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Breaking tractor in half? #5  
Not only safe but I'd recomend it. You definitely need rear ballast when working with a full loader. I have loaded tires and use my york rake, its only about 250lbs, but it hangs about 4' behind the tractor and works well (except for ocassionly scraping on the ground).

/ Breaking tractor in half? #6  
I have a TC33D and it broke in half while I was moving brush. I only had a bush Hog on the 3 PH. The New Holland Technical Rep, after two months, look at the broke tractor. He said New Holland would not help on repair because the tractor was out of warranty. I would be very concerned if I had one of these tractors with a FEL. I will not use the FEL for anything until I can trade this for another brand. Repair bill $3550.

Attachments

• 429649-Slide1.JPG
    429649-Slide1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 486
   / Breaking tractor in half? #7  
Hey BRG, can you get a picture from farther back that shows more of the damage, and possibly some more detialed shots? I'd love to know exactly where yours broke so I can inspect mine there..

/ Breaking tractor in half? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey BRG, can you get a picture from farther back that shows more of the damage, and possibly some more detialed shots? I'd love to know exactly where yours broke so I can inspect mine there.. )</font>

The first thing I look at is the casting. I look for voids and inclusions that could become a weak spot. I also look at the mating flanges. If the flanges are nice and thick, it indicates a strong housing. If 1 or both flanges have been milled thin, watch out!

To BRG:

For #3500, I believe I would have gotten an experienced casting or machining inspector to examine it. I'm betting there was a flaw of some sort. Many states force manufacturers to cover factory defects well beyond warranty.

/ Breaking tractor in half? #9  
Kris, See attachment for more pictures.

Attachments

• 430766-Tractor break PPr1.jpg
    430766-Tractor break PPr1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 505
   / Breaking tractor in half? #10  
Has your tractor been fixed yet? I sure agree with Have_blue. I'd darn sure get that casting and have it looked at by an expert. I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with the design of the tractor, or we would hear of a lot of folks with the same problem. If your casting has a manufacturing fault, NH should replace it. You can hope your state has a "lemon law."