Barn Project

/ Barn Project #1  

AndyR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC, Farmall SuperC
I know a few of you have expressed insterest in timber framing and I said I'd let the gang know... What follows is the first of 3 workshops here in beautiful mosquitoe /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif infested New Hampshire /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barn Assessment Workshop

There will be a workshop on Barn Assessment and Prioritization on Saturday, June 5th, 9:30 AM, at the Roeper farm in Lyndeborough, NH.

The barn at the center of this project is an 1852 knave-post timber framed barn containing both original hand-hewn timbers and salvaged timbers from an earlier frame. The 40x80’ bank barn is part of an attached farmhouse complex measuring 237’ end-to-end which includes a 1750 cape and an 1870 farmhouse. This barn will be fully documented and disassembled this July so that a full restoration may be done in the coming years. Due to the varied quality of work that has been done to it over the years, as well as recent foundation and drainage work, this barn provides an excellent educational opportunity for understanding some of the things that happen to old buildings.

This workshop will examine an existing structure from foundation to roof and will cover a number areas, including:

Condition Assessment – What IS bad and what just LOOKS bad. Everything from Foundation to roof.
How to measure your building in order to prepare comprehensive documentation.
Prioritizing repair options – what MUST you do and in what order.
Preservation techniques
Restoration Techniques
Adaptive Re-use

In a one day workshop we will be focused on the assessment, measuring and repair areas with brief discussions on preservation, restoration and adaptive re-use. Each of these subjects could easily command a full day to cover in more detail. This workshop will be aimed at allowing a property owner to understand the issues involved in their own structure as well as providing an educational forum for professionals to improve their understanding. Techno-babble will be held to a minimum and we will do our best to translate terms for the unfamiliar. Detailed naming and identification of the frame parts will be covered in much more depth in the June 19th workshop as the crucial tags are attached to each piece of framing.

Participants will be walking through the barn and grounds and should bring a notebook, camera (if desired) and a bag lunch. Refreshments will be provided. A donation is optional and will be split with the instructor and with local Heritage and Historical Societies. You will be required to sign an insurance waiver in order to participate in this workshop.

Advance registration is requested and will get you important details (like directions!).

The workshop leader will be Arron Sturgis of Preservation Timber Framing from Eliot, Maine.

For further information or to register, please reply to: barnproject@cwrmarketing.com

Or contact Andy Roeper at 603.654.9831

Other Workshops this year:
Documentation and Tagging – 19 June 2004
The Great Un-Do (Deconstruction of the Barn) - 16-18 July 2004

/ Barn Project #2  
Andy, if you can have another 6 hours added to each day of the week, then I"M THERE!

That sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Is this your barn by chance? or are you a participant? Can you supply some photos here?

Thanks!

/ Barn Project
It's my barn. I'll be assembling a bunch of photos tonight and will try to post some. 'Need to set up a website if I ever get any time.

Let's see - new tractor, barn project, making level places for shipping containers to store barn project, finish the upstairs bathroom project, emtpy the barn project, finish the east house basement project, workshop renovation project, workshop leveling and partial foundtion project, finish the new kitchen project, barn documentation project, clear trees and build terraced gardens project, keep my business going, rebuild porch project, install external insulation and standing seam roofing on 3 sections of the building project, etc. etc. Did I mention I have a few projects? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif