PTO winching, the right&wrong

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
I was told when you winch up a log with a PTO winc, you have to re-hook the chain to the lower notches, how many here do that that? Once I have the chain around the log, that's it till I get the log out, then I unhook, to me winching up a log than re-hook is such unproductive way to haul log then I can think of.This video shows how I've been doing it, if it shows up>>> YouTube

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #2  
With MY pto winch, I can leave the log hooked to the cable, OR hook the chain to the top of the blade.

MY winch is made to skid from the cable, big or small, no problem at all,

standard.jpg

SR

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #3  
Yep. For me the name of the game is to move logs in as few steps (hooks/re-hooks) as possible. This also means towing one long log (if possible, instead of cutting it into two.
If it was just a 1 or 2 logs job, and I'm not in a hurry, and they're big, and I wasn't using the bottom pulley, (I.e. I wanted to "re-heighten" the load off of the top link / reduce wheelies). I might re-hook, but probably not.

I'm more likely to rehook on the notches when I want to "double-up" the amount of logs I'm towing and make one trip instead of two by using BOTH the notches and the cable to draw additional logs. This would be for small diameter pine logs where you might draw 8 logs at a time using this technique. It can be tricky to get the "second cable pull" logs to slide by the "first pull logs" that you have in the notches. Might be tough to do that for logs sized like in the pictures above. :eek:

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #4  
It works either way. The notches are handy if you have several smaller logs to pull simultaneously. When towing a log with the cable, I always tried to be careful to avoid snagging the log, since that could easily stretch/kink the cable.

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #5  
I use the notches for taking several smaller logs out at once, or if I have a particularly large log or long drive. In that case, I prefer the notches so I don't bury the cable inside the previous wraps on the drum. But my understanding is that my Farmi 351 is designed to skid from the cable.

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #6  
Wouldn't the winch manufacturers be under the mandate to recommend operators to NOT "pull High".

You know, the safety police and all.

But if the wind in didn't go well, pulling off the cable for a long hitch could send that top loop deep down in the spool.

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong #7  
I prefer the notches so I don't bury the cable inside the previous wraps on the drum.

But if the wind in didn't go well, pulling off the cable for a long hitch could send that top loop deep down in the spool.

Wouldn't the cable already be buried if it's going to bury? The cable has already experienced the force of pulling the logs up to the winch on the wind.

[With the one end of the log raised up during towing, the force it takes to tow should be less than winching. Granted, you travel faster towing than you winch, so it's not a direct comparison, but still.]

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong
I myself like keeping the trees atleast a ft off the ground, I think less wood on ground drags easier, the LOG logs even higher so not to let so much dirt get on them, goes threw the mill betterah. This hook and re-hook logging would drive me crazy. I knew guy at work years ago did that, re-hooked to the lower notches and his chains kept breaking.
I never had my cable get buried to bad, just a slight light jam now and then, but one good yank from a yankee and the cable comes out. Kinda funny everyone has different problems doing the same job, wonder what causes that............

/ PTO winching, the right&wrong
With MY pto winch, I can leave the log hooked to the cable, OR hook the chain to the top of the blade.

MY winch is made to skid from the cable, big or small, no problem at all,

standard.jpg

SR

That is a nice size log, ever notice that they pull easier on the white stuff.............