Stock Batteries

/ Stock Batteries #1  

bluefin650

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650, JD 35D
I tried searching but didn't find anything.

Are the stock batteries junk? I think I am starting my third season with the stock battery. It was low 20*'s this morning and about 36* when I went to start the tractor. It seemed to turn over pretty slow. I have noticed similar episodes when it was warm out. Is it worth just changing it out now?

/ Stock Batteries #2  
I don't know about your battery, but my 2009 Kubota B26 still has the original battery. It has always seemed to turn over slow but it always cranks. I think that is just the way the starter sounds on my tractor.
Now my 2010 LS had to have the battery replaced after 5 years but it gets used seldom. I was able to get another year from it by keeping it on a trickle charger but on the 5th year, it no longer charged. I replaced it with a NAPA 84 battery which I have had good luck with on my RTV 900.

It seems to me that most of my equipment (cars, trucks, tractors (except the Kubota) have about a 4 year battery before they start to get weak and die. Lawnmower batteries might get 2 years tops from them.

/ Stock Batteries #3  

Are the stock batteries junk? I think I am starting my third season with the stock battery. It was low 20*'s this morning and about 36* when I went to start the tractor. It seemed to turn over pretty slow. I have noticed similar episodes when it was warm out. Is it worth just changing it out now?

The secret to getting the most possible life out of a battery is to always keep a trickle charger on it, when the vehicle/tractor is not in use.
Buy (and use) a quality trickle charger, such as "Battery Minder", " NOCO Genius", or "Battery Tender".
Best prices on these can often be found on Jet.com, or E-bay.
Amazon is usually pricey for these.

/ Stock Batteries #4  
The only way to know for sure is to have the battery tested. If it’s bad you won’t have to pay the cord charge as you already brought in the old battery.
I say that because what is common on the Mahindra tractors is bad battery cables. Folks report they look good but are causing all kinds of issues- some like you describe. I’d start with the cables and then drag the battery down to the parts house. They will test it for free.

/ Stock Batteries #5  

Of course cold weather causes the battery to have less cranking power, at the same time the engine cranks harder when cold so it needs more cranking power. Cold weather will certainly point out a battery that is getting weak. To answer your question, the factory Mahindra Exide batteries are certainly nothing special. Just an average battery, no better. 3-5 years is generally the lifespan of the factory battery. I'd consider cleaning the cables well and perhaps putting in a hot-rod battery with lots of cranking amps for you folks in cold weather.

/ Stock Batteries
The only way to know for sure is to have the battery tested. If it’s bad you won’t have to pay the cord charge as you already brought in the old battery.
I say that because what is common on the Mahindra tractors is bad battery cables. Folks report they look good but are causing all kinds of issues- some like you describe. I’d start with the cables and then drag the battery down to the parts house. They will test it for free.

The bad battery cables has me thinking. I recall a couple times this summer where I would let the glow plugs go through their cycle, and then when you turned the key, there was nothing. Reset the process and then the tractor would turn over and start. I just put a load tester on the battery. The tester is the style that has the heating element in it. The needle did not drop after 15 secs under load. I think for this winter, I will leave it on trickle charge all the time and plug in the block heater prior to snow storms.

/ Stock Batteries #7  
My stock battery went 5.5 years, when it was done there was no resurrecting it. It was an Exide and Tractor Supply had the exact same battery. Replaced it and have had zero problems since. Since I am a high voltage electrician I have always kept an eye on the cables, and yes, if I had ignored them it would have caused issues. Check the cables on both ends and then look toward the battery itself. Or you can move south and forget about the cold weather! Good luck.

/ Stock Batteries #8  
7 yrs on my original.

I forgot my hazards were on last year, and killed the battery dead.
I thought for sure the 6yr old battery was a goner.
I slow charged it up, and she is still going, as of today.

I don't know what brand is in there yet,but it has been a trooper.

/ Stock Batteries #9  
The OEM battery in my 2009 Kubota M6040 "sounded strong" until the fall of 2016. I changed it out for the largest AGM battery I could find. I also keep a battery tender on the Kubota - year round - NOW. Surprisingly the OEM battery still accepts a full charge and I use it for non-critical jobs around the property.I've found from 35+ years of experience out here on the property - its better to be safe, with fully operational equipment - than to be stuck when equipment goes down. It NEVER goes down in a convenient place or on a non-critical job.

/ Stock Batteries #10  
oosik is dead on with this statement!

"I've found from 35+ years of experience out here on the property - its better to be safe, with fully operational equipment - than to be stuck when equipment goes down. It NEVER goes down in a convenient place or on a non-critical job."