3PH Backhoe Limiter (safety) bar works...

/ 3PH Backhoe Limiter (safety) bar works... #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
I don't know how many times I have added/removed my backhoe. Sometimes twice in the same day. Almost second nature to do it.

Yesterday it went as smooth as ever when I put it on. I had one small chore cleaning some stones from a ditch at the end of a pipe I was abandoning/replacing with a bigger/better/longer pipe...

I got down there, positioned the backhoe, set the stabilizers on the ground, with some up force on the tractor rear. Took a couple scoops and the backhoe did not feel normal...looser and more bouncy than I'm used to...

Look down and see the "mast arm" that attaches to the heavy-duty top link bracket is up floating in the air! Immediately knew I forgot to put the pin in that holds it in place. There are two pins, one that the arm hooks over, and the one above it that passes through the arm and locks it in place.

What happened was when I set the stabilizers the lilmiter bar came up under the 3PH arms, and prevented further upward movement of the backhoe. This is what it is designed to do, in the event that the top link bracket/hardened pin would fail.

Nice to know it can also protect if the thing between one's ears fails... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think I usually double check things but obviously I forgot to this time...

Without the limiter bar the ROPS might have changed into a Henro-swatter...and worst case I might not be typing this now...

Message: The more you do/use something the more important it is to remember to double check what you are doing...

edit: I just noticed that my new sig line sort of relates to this thread...but probably would be better stated, when referring to me as: "Just cause your dumb doesn't mean you're dead... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 3PH Backhoe Limiter (safety) bar works... #2  
Henro,

Nice to see your original picture back up. Just couldn't get used to the other one.

/ 3PH Backhoe Limiter (safety) bar works... #3  
I second that on the photo!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3PH Backhoe Limiter (safety) bar works... #4  
Message: The more you do/use something the more important it is to remember to double check what you are doing... I'll second that one. Went to get a load of lumber once, got to the mill (5 mile drive) and noticed I didn't latch the hitch to the ball, 'doh' luckily nothing happened.

Steve (the dummy sometimes)