Moving a Pole Barn

/ Moving a Pole Barn #1  

herdfan

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3045, Ford 2000
I need to relocate this barn about 100 feet straight back towards the back of my property.
Any relatively easy way to do this besides tearing it down and rebuilding it?
It's on a concrete slab but looks like it has 2X4s under the barn itself, on top of the concrete.
The barn is around 35X45 feet.
(The little storage area jutting off the side in the pics will be removed.)

Thanks for any ideas!
Eric

Attachments

• 457307-Barn.jpg
    457307-Barn.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,059
   / Moving a Pole Barn
Another pic showing where it needs to go.

Attachments

• 457308-New Barn Location.jpg
    457308-New Barn Location.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 827
   / Moving a Pole Barn #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's on a concrete slab but looks like it has 2X4s under the barn itself, on top of the concrete )</font>

This makes it sound like it's not a pole barn, but a stick-built barn. If it's built on the slab, it's not a pole barn in my dictionary. Am I misinterpreting your post?

Cliff

/ Moving a Pole Barn
Yea - I guess you're right. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
It's stick built

/ Moving a Pole Barn #5  
Well, that certainly makes it easier to move. There have been other threads about moving sheds and the like, but that's a pretty big barn. There should be a local compnay that specializes in that sort of thing (house movers) who would find moving a barn shell pretty straight forward. Looks a bit large to move yourself.

Cliff

/ Moving a Pole Barn #6  
I seen a guy move a pole barn about a 1/4 mile one time. He nailed some heavy timbers to the bottom of the trusses in the middle of the barn then took a large farm grain truck inside and raised the bed to lift the barn, cut the post off at the ground and picked up the barn, chained it for balance and drove away slowly to its new home. It worked rather well and he had it moved in about 4hours.

Good luck Petert

/ Moving a Pole Barn #7  
My brother had the same plan.
A fella with a cherrypicker said he'd pick it up and put it where it needs to go. My brother asked what if the building fell apart...the cherrypicker guy said that's tough luck cause he can't guarantee or insure that a 25+ year old pole build will hold together.

So, my brother just rebuild the building and in the process found a few interesting things about pole buildings and treated lumber.

The 4X4 and 4X6 poles: If they were set in concrete they were rotted and most it was completely rotted into pieces.
If the poles were not in concrete the poles were not rotted at all. The concrete holds water in the wood causing the rot.

/ Moving a Pole Barn #8  
bonman;

yes that is true: if you read or followed up the polebarn posts which was started by MOPO about last year and continued for several hundred posts the descussion lead to the use concreete or not to use concrete around the posts. most agreed it was bad due to the concrete holding / trapping water around the post but also the leaching of the concrete becomes rather caustic and helps to eat it, so any posts set and slab pour there should be some type of barrier around the post so the crete does not contact it dirrectly...

Mark M

/ Moving a Pole Barn #9  
My carpenter neighbor who builds decks pours footers 3' deep, and then puts the columns on these supported by metal "feet" to keep the wood off the concrete. He told me that even setting the ends of the wood on the concrete will cause it to rot quicker. Also warrantied treated wood set in or on concrete will void the warranty.

/ Moving a Pole Barn
I have a housemover coming by "some evening this week" to look at it.
It looks like the support posts are in the concrete though.
That doesn't sound too good from what yall are saying. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
How hard are these things to tear down and rebuild? Looks like it would be a pretty good chore to do.
Thanks for the input so far!
Eric