Won't start now.

/ Won't start now. #1  

DennisFreytag

Won\'t start now.

Bought a Massey Ferguson 1120 in need of work. Its 7 years old and I payed $700. When I bought this tractor it was thought to be in need of a new injection pump. It started and blew out lots of black smoke. Fuel should be white, right? It was supposed to have new rings in it. I think any mechanical work done before I bought it could be suspect. After I got it home, I could not get it to start. I disconnected the injector lines at the pump and it puts out a small amount of fuel on the center line, no pressure and thats it. I tried spraying WD40 in the intake and it would not fire on that, also tried a little ether, it almost fires on both but will not run. Got any ideas? Thanks, Dennis

/ Won't start now. #2  
Re: Won\'t start now.

If you are not getting fuel to the injectors (try loosening the line at
the cylinder) then you need either the injection pump, or if it is eqipped with one, the low pressure or lift pump that supplies fuel to the injector pump.
Trace the line from the injector pump and see if it goes to another mechanical or electrical fuel pump. If it does open the line that feeds the injector pump and see if you have fuel flow when you either turn on the igniton switch or crank the motor over. If you don't then either the fuel pump is bad or their is an obstruction in the tank, valve, or lines supplying the pump.
hope this helps
Leroy

/ Won't start now. #3  

In concert with what LeRoi said...if you DO have a lift pump, dont do what I did...

I took the output side off, cranked engine, saw it spray out so presumed it to be fine/working. Long story short, it wasnt until I put my finger over the output and cranked it over that I discovered that I had no real PRESSURE coming out of the pump and it was in fact bad.

I had been able to plug the output and prevent it from coming out of the pump with my finger. AFter I replaced the pump, there was NO WAY I was going to be able to plug it off with a finger.

Don't know if you have this issue, only trying to prevent you from making the same mistake I made if you in fact, have the lift (in my case, they called it a "transfer") pump.

Good luck
Richard

/ Won't start now. #4  

Dennis before you start replacing parts please be sure that you have a good diesel supply. My last tractor had a screen on the fuel line inside the fuel tank upstream from the replaceable fuel filter. It became plugged on more than one occasion and naturally the engine would not start or run. Its very easy to disconnect the fuel line at the pump to see if you have good supply.

/ Won't start now. #5  

I had a lift pump die once and never knew it. The injection pump was still able to draw fuel. It wasn't until I replaced the fuel filter (and opened the system) that the injection pump seemed to stop working.

/ Won't start now. #6  

Are you out of fuel? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Won't start now. #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It started and blew out lots of black smoke. Fuel should be white, right?)</font>

Black smoke is unburnt fuel - and as others mentioned change fuel filter (or filters) then check to see if it is getting fuel.