no downpressure

/ no downpressure #1  

granite

I have a bx23 w/30hrs. There is no downpressure on the loader. The loader can move and lift but all of a sudden it can't raise the tractor (I was doing some grading and loader work). What could be the problem?
Thanks

/ no downpressure #2  
This is just a shot in the dark . But are you sure you're not going past the down position ,and it the float position inadvertantly ? If the ball detent is fairly weak it's easy to do .
Not much help , but I hope it's as simple as that . John

/ no downpressure #3  
From what I can tell all of the BX seem to do this to so degree. I would suggest a combination of using the tractor and getting the hydro fluid hot and maybe operating at low RPM caused your situation. Mine will do that also. Try keeeping the RPM above2000 or so and then raise and lower the loader to full travel and curl and un curl the bucket to purge the lines and cylinders. If I do that mine will regain its power for the rest of that work interval. I had mine to the dealer for this he could not find anything wrong. The answer he got from Kubota was that the hydro pump is small and must be run at close to full power for the loader and backhoe to develop full power. Agravating but cycling the loader does cause mine to work properly.

/ no downpressure #4  
Is there a chance your backhoe is off?

Having the backhoe or something else heavy on the back makes all the difference in the world on my B2910 if I try to lift the front wheels with the loader...nothing on the back...almost no lift at all...

/ no downpressure #5  
Granite,

Call me mister obvious, but did you check the hydraulic fluid level?

Low flow (low fluid, clogged or old filters, etc) can make hydraulics weak.

On machines I know, not necessarily your BX:

In winter, when the lines are cold (freezing temps), many times the filter will go into bypass mode until the filter heats up enough to have sufficient flow. This protect the pump and other components, but the flow isn't the same as normal operations, so a limit can be felt. The same thing can happen with clogged filters.

Anyway, always a good idea to check the obvious (and easy) things first.

-JC

/ no downpressure #6  
As with your tractor, my loader can raise the front of the tractor off the ground, even with nothing on the 3PH. But, it doesn't do it all the time.

Something I've noticed:

With the loader bucket firmly on the ground, and applying down pressure, the rear wheels will roll forward slightly as the front wheels come off the ground. With the hydro trannie in neutral, the front wheels raise easily. With the parking brake set, no way...the front wheels won't even begin to rise. With parking brake off and hydro trannie engaged...maybe yes, maybe no. With the tractor sitting still and trannie engaged, there is some degree of braking automatically applied as part of the hydrostatic circuitry. I believe when the tractor is sitting still, the amount of braking power varies a bit for no clear reason. When there's less braking, the wheels rise; when there's more braking, they won't.

Here's the TEST:

On a level surface, put the transmission in neutral and try to raise the front wheels. They probably will go up easily.

Next, try the same thing with the parking brake set. Probably won't go up at all.

Next, release the brake, put the hydrostat in Hi range and try again. Maybe yes...maybe no?? If yes, then go to the final step.

Finally, put the hydrostat in Lo range and try one more time. Is it different than in Hi range??

As mentioned in a previous post, I have noticed less power in hot weather (hot hyd. fluid), but I also think transmission braking has something to do with being able to raise front wheels on hydrostat tractors. If you try the test, let us know.

OkieG

/ no downpressure
I checked the hydraulic fluid and it is right where it should be - also checked for any obvious leaks and found none. I had the backhoe off and was using the grader blade plenty of weight in the back. When I went to raise the grader to move the tractor, the lift arms on the 3pt hitch became stuck in the up position so I took the grader blade off and attached the backhoe. The bh works fine and can raise the back wheels off the ground. In the garage on the concrete I tried lifting and moving the bucket in all positions so I know it's not that I'm not missing the position. I also tried each step in the test above and the front wheels did not lift in any step.

I've tried several times to lower the 3pt lift arms but they won't move. Could the fel downpressure and lift arm problem be related? If the BH works fine does this rule out a hydraulic problem?

/ no downpressure #8  
<font color="blue"> the lift arms on the 3pt hitch became stuck in the up position </font>

Wow. I don't know what to tell you about the 3PH being stuck. If it's just an adjustment thing, the dealer should be able to help. How did you ever get the rear blade off with the 3PH in the UP position??

Also, don't know if the loader & 3PH problems are related. My guess is no.

If your loader used to raise the front wheels off the ground and now it doesn't, even with a BH hanging off the backend...something is wrong.

Now is the time to see how good your dealer really is! Give him a call and get him working. I'd like to hear what you find out as you solve these problems. It may be something simple, and I hope it is.

OkieG

/ no downpressure #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the 3pt hitch became stuck in the up position )</font>

Most tractors have an adjustable valve for the 3PH that allows the lowering speed to be variable. If that valve is adjusted closed, the 3PH will not lower at all. Is that your problem?

When you try to lift the front of your tractor, is your bucket flat or curled down? The bucket should be curled all the way down to the dump position. Many tractors cannot lift the front wheels (or lift them much) with the bucket flat. I either curl my bucket down first or put it flat on the ground and then curl down to lift the front of my tractor.

/ no downpressure
I was able to rest the rear blade frame on a block, removed the blade assembly from the frame (reduced the weight) and then removed each of the pins. Before the other day, the loader would lift the tractor with the bucket curled to the dump position. I'll call the dealer, but I wanted to rule out anything obvious first. Being able to get advise is what's great about this forum. I like to understand how things work - a do-it-yourself newbie with a track record of getting into trouble though (I once took apart the car water pump, etc only to find out the thermostat was the problem) - I appreciate the advise and have learned a lot from this forum.
Thanks.