Advice needed - changing 3ph to submount backhoe

/ Advice needed - changing 3ph to submount backhoe #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
A local farmer has asked me to investigate if it is possible or practical to try and change a 3ph mounted backhoe to a sub mount backhoe. He bought the backhoe unit at an auction and doesn't know the brand. Wants to mount it on a 52 HP David Brown farm tractor. I haven't actually seen the unit yet but would be appreciative of any advice or warnings about what to check out and approachs to the project from the voices of experience out there. I hope I can get some pics in the next few days.

Bob

/ Advice needed - changing 3ph to submount backhoe #2  
Bob,

Long time lurker, first post here.

I have done this a couple times and it is advisable.
My method was to set the hoe up behind the tractor, see where I wanted to connect them, and go from there. Just be sure your transferring the force to points that are designed to handle it.

You need to basically build a sub frame between tractor and hoe. Good connection points being low on the rear and up to around the front axle.

Hopefully, someone that's better at putting what they are thinking into words can add to this.

/ Advice needed - changing 3ph to submount backhoe #3  
I also have thought of this. Can't really afford/justify the real deal and yet see 3ph units around all the time pretty inexpensively...

Given the relatively low pump capacities of most farm tractors would one add a pto pump and external reservoir as part of the project?

/ Advice needed - changing 3ph to submount backhoe #4  
<font color="blue">A local farmer has asked me to investigate if it is possible or practical to try and change a 3ph mounted backhoe to a sub mount backhoe.</font>
Bob,
Why would he want to convert it from a three point? A David Brown of that size is a large heavy utility tractor and would have no problem with a three point hoe. The only thing, he would have to make sure that the three point was locked down so that the draft wouldn't kick in.