used Plow and disk setup

/ used Plow and disk setup #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Hello...I am looking for a plow and disk for my JD5410 (65HP), and after ruling out a new one (my JD dealer quoted me something like $3500+ for a new 2 bottom plow), I have a lead on a used 4 bottom plow (w/hyrdaulics) and a 10 or 12 foot disk (also with hydraulics). Now keep in mind I haven't seen either one yet, but I have been told they are both setup as category 2 and are appropriate for my sized tractor (according to another dealer who is facilitating the sale). My question is, what about price? What is a fair price, assuming both things are in reasonable shape and working? The plow is asking $500 and the disk harrow is $1000. The plow seems like a deal, and the harrow seems a little expensive, but I don't have much to compare to...also, there is not a lot of local used implements for sale so it is difficult to compare prices....when I go to look at these implements, is there anything in particular I should pay attention to? i.e. tell-tale signs of impending failure etc.

Thanks all.

BTW: The dealer said the 4 bottom plow may be a little too big for my tractor(my soil is very heavy clay with rocks!), but said I could just remove one or two of the blades if I needed to...does that make sense to do? My guess is that after a few years the soil will be easier to work and I could then use all 4.

/ used Plow and disk setup #2  
3-Bottom would be about the limit for your JD5410... It's tough to judge used implements/tractors on the computer screen.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Actually $500. is slightly higher than auction prices... you'll find lots of ploughs/plows for bargain prices {no till?}, same with discs & cultivators... Just find yourself a friend with a good trailer to bring it home.

Look for broken/repaired welds, cracks, twisted, bent etc. The usual...

Again, Rule of thumb All ground engaging implements -mass, the heavier... the better...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

00003f7adnqqjecb.jpg

/ used Plow and disk setup #3  
With my Massey I can pull a 3 bottom plow and it's a super 90 but that's about it. I think the massey has a few more hp than your deere. A four bottom plow in that kind of ground is going to take, in my opinion, more tractor than what you have. It also though depends on how far apart the plow blades are. The farther apart they are the harder it will pull. I'd look for a 2 or 3 bottom plow. They are cheap around here. You can usually pick one up for $100-300 at the auctions.

In regards to your disc what exactly is it? Is it a disc or harrow or is it a combination? Let me know on that and the brand and I can tell you more.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ used Plow and disk setup
I'll need to get a look at the disk before I know more about it, but as far as the plow...is taking 1 or 2 blades off of a 4 bottom plow going to give me the same effect as having a 2 or 3 bottom plow?

/ used Plow and disk setup #5  
Personally I wouldn't do it myself. The plow was made to be used as a 4 bottom and you're not going to have as good of results. Plus you're paying for four and not two bottom. If it was case of the plow as say a $100 or $200 then I'd give it a shot but where you would be paying $500 for it no way.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ used Plow and disk setup #6  
Look at http://www.lancasterfarming.com
Click on searchable classifieds. You will find lots of
price comparasons. It will give you a feel for prices around here anyway.

When I was looking for plow and disc,
I concluded that 3pt plows were around $100/bottom, discs were all over the place with ones in my size range being roughly divided by weather they were for 3pt or were drag types. The mounted ones were typically $300 and up, the drags were generally on the other side of $300.
I have a B2150 with 24 horses before the hydro and I can pull 2 14" bottoms with turf tires well enough to plow my garden. The 4wd is the big factor there. I too was counting on removing a bottom as a back up plan, but it seems to me that the frame the bottom bolts to would drag in the dirt when plowing deep. I think it would pull easier than with the whole bottom, but may get damaged.
I found I could break virgin ground by just not letting it down as far, and then going over it again deeper. If your tractor manual permits 4 bottoms, I would think that you could pull it with that much power, especially if you have ag tires and 4wd.

Have fun with whatever you get.

Craig
Hershey, PA

/ used Plow and disk setup #7  
If the plow has hydraulics then it is a hyd reset type. Well worth the money if it is in good,non-abused shape. The disc is a bit on the high side,but that is with out knowing what it is and the history behind it. Make sure all of the discs are free,and tight,bearings could get costly. What type of blades? Do not go with a 3ph type of disc,you will be disapointed in the performance in your soil type. Your Deere might be a tad bit on the light side for your soil type,and a 4 bottom especially a wide one. Of course if it is adjustable you might find it works better set narrower. Post somemore info(manufacturer,model,age,condition,etc....) on the implements if you can. Check www.prairielinks.com for sale sites for comparison prices.