5205 John Deere, PTO not working....more

/ 5205 John Deere, PTO not working....more #1  

teddydo

Silver Member
Tractor
4330 Kubota, 600 ford
Friends I am trying to help my neighbor. He has a 5205 Deere with about 60 hrs work time on it. Has not been serviced yet. Only used for Bush Hoging. Today the Bush Hog has just about stopped working. It will get going but when you put it in the grass it almost stops. To compound the problem he casually turned the bleed valve under the fuel filter and now it will not start. I think we are just not familar with this yet. The little pump thing stays up all time now and the manual says for it to be down.Anyway when someone tells us how to start it, do you think the 50 hours sservice will fix the PTO problem...Thanks in advance....teddydo

/ 5205 John Deere, PTO not working....more #2  
I think you'd better let the dealer handle the PTO...might be a warranty issue. You could see if he has a slip clutch on the PTO shaft. If so, it may not be set right or slipped out of adjustment. If there is a slip clutch, your cutter manual should describe how to adjust it. If not in the cutter manual, ask your friend about all documentation he got when he bought the tractor. there should be something there to describe usage of a slip clutch, if installed. This needs to be done every now and then, so your friend may as well learn how to do it.

I'm sure your friend got air in the fuel system when he turned the bleeder. That should be an auto-bleed system on that Deere. Just make sure the bleeder is tight. Otherwise he might just be drawing more air into the fuel system. Read your manual to be sure. I tried the Deere website, but the 5205 series manual isn't online.

As far as that "little pump thing"...what does your manual call it? Does it say anything about resetting it?

I suggest your friend not "casually" turn things unless he knows the results.

/ 5205 John Deere, PTO not working....more
Thank you Roy that's good advise. It's the PTO from the Tractor slowing down we tryed the bush hog on another tractor. Getting it started I'm sure is really simple neither of us have never owned a disel until now and we will learn. We will just pull it on the trailer. By the way, I understood what you were talking about the other day when you replied to the gentleman with the bush hog that vibrates when he hits something. thanks teddydo

/ 5205 John Deere, PTO not working....more #4  
Friends I am trying to help my neighbor. He has a 5205 Deere with about 60 hrs work time on it. Has not been serviced yet. Only used for Bush Hoging. Today the Bush Hog has just about stopped working. It will get going but when you put it in the grass it almost stops. To compound the problem he casually turned the bleed valve under the fuel filter and now it will not start. I think we are just not familar with this yet. The little pump thing stays up all time now and the manual says for it to be down.Anyway when someone tells us how to start it, do you think the 50 hours sservice will fix the PTO problem...Thanks in advance....teddydo
60 Hour service is late for the 5205... ours has more than 2400 hours and easily pulls a 11ft 6" International 370 disk, has some problems with the 14 ft IH45 vibrashank cultivator(7" sweeps), handles 3x18in bottoms on our Knerveland plow, 60 inch bush hog mower, 522 loader has been exceptional ... two problems, needed a second remote to lift the packer behind the drill, had to add one, and the fuel sending unit.
Critical to Please Read the Manual (RTFM) since so many of the adjustments can be altered with tall grass pushing past the linkage under the tractor. Bullet proof if used with average care following the recommendations in the manual. (RTFM)