EZ spade for digging drainage ditches?

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #1  

BCF

Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC
Hey y'all,

I've got to rework some drainage ditches on our property and saw this implement. web page
Looks like a good idea, but I've never used anything like this and wondered if anyone has had experience with either this attachment or the manufacturer.

Also, wondered if anyone knows a better way to dig these things. I'll need to dig about 300 feet of ditch to channel rain runoff into our pond. Alternatively, I also thought about using a trencher, then running some of that black flexible drainage pipe with the holes cut in it, then filling the trench with large gravel up to the surface. Would that be too much unecessary work? (of course, if it results in additional seat time is it really unecessary /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Appreciate the input,

Nelson

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #2  
BCF...looks like a great attachment. It might stick out too far on a CUT so you would loose a lot of the digging lifting power. Hopefully somebody owns one, but I kind of doubt it. I think you should buy one and tell us how well it works. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #3  
Nelson…
Yea… I do have one . They are sold as tree shovels. This is one made by DirtWorks. (See Attachment)These things are incredible. My L4200 has creeper along with GST, I see your tractor is larger and a Hydro. You will have no problems getting the hang of making this tool work. Using this attachment I have been able to dig very large trees, not necessarily to transplant them, just to remove them. It’ll bust through large tap roots and rock with NO problems.

Stick the point in the ground power down while rocking the spade lightly with your bucket curl. It is like having a hydraulic powered long handled shovel. You can dig a trench through about anything. Very tough and nice design. I can’t think of anything that will break on it.

For your drain project the perf-tube works well (French drain) this spade will give you a nice (but only as deep as the spades leingth) unless you need to go deeper you will not need a trencher. Put rock over your tube and it will drain.

I recommend this attachment … If for nothing else it is a FUN tool. KennyV.

Attachments

• 499838-TreeShovel1.jpg
    499838-TreeShovel1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,985
   / EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #4  
How large of a tree can this handle?

and What is the cost if you don't mind me asking?

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #5  
Nelson,

Here's a link to a similiar product I'm thinking about getting. Its $350 plus freight.

Stump bucket

John

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #6  
Nelson

The stump bucket that jmc refered to looks very much like Markham Welding's grubber bucket. If you are going to order their toothbar they will ship them together and save you shipping costs. I am giving serious consideration to ordering their pallet forks and grubber bucket together soon.

Vernon

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #7  
You can see it at ‘ qualityweldingservice.com ‘… They are the manufactures, located in Wisconsin. They have a nice selection of handy attachments. Shipping is VERY reasonable… I’m surprised they have not had a price increase it is still $595. Very heavy steel construction.

This tool is handy for digging anything… it’s only disadvantage in tree transplanting is the fact that you need room at least 270 degrees around your tree. Not too bad with a skid steer but a tractor and counter weight can get a little longish…

I have transplanted quite a few 6’ to 10’ cedar and some walnuts. Like anything it takes some practice. Around here there are plenty of elm and cedar trees to practice on. I am still planning on a medium size tree spade, the hydraulic kind. KennyV.

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #8  
I also have one of these. It's called a 30" tree spade.

I have used it to dig a trench and later put the perferated tubing in it. The only downside is that once you scoop up some dirt, you've got to turn your machine to the side to dump it, so it takes longer to dig trenches than you may initially think.

I paid $400 for mine -- I got it off eBay 2 years ago.

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #9  
DAVE,

If that first picture isn't out of some company's product brochure, it ought to be. What is the little crease at the very tip of the spade?

John

/ EZ spade for digging drainage ditches? #10  
<font color="blue"> What is the little crease at the very tip of the spade? </font>

That's to give the tip a bit more strength -- or so they say. I took that picture the day I got it -- it still had some stickers on it.