Stihl Chain Saws

/ Stihl Chain Saws #1  

klm

Silver Member
Tractor
Allis D17 CIH D40, JD5310, Massimo MS50010
Am I the only one who thinks Stihl chain saws are overrated? Based on owning one and being around several I find them hard starting temperamental unreliable pieces of equipment.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #2  
I don't swear at mine, I swear by it. I have owned it for some years and with the exception of gas, bar oil, and sharpening the chain when needed I have never put another nickel in it. It always starts easy and runs smooth. What more can you ask for in a chain saw?

Maybe yours needs some minor attention?

/ Stihl Chain Saws #3  
I could say the same thing about mine. I had a husquvarna before which would always start on the second pull even after sitting all winter. It had the power to cut too. Well a bearing seal went out and it sucked air which leaned out the mix going in and it scored the piston and cylinder walls. replaced it with a stihl,same cc's little less money, now one year later has had it's tuneup after break in and still takes a half dozen or more pulls to start. I've lost count of how many times the chain has popped off the bar which happened maybe twice in all the time I had the other one. I was under the impression that these were equal machines but I think I was spoiled with the husky. I know saw threads go on ad infinitum here and don't mean to fire up another one but I do wish I'd stuck with the husquvarna.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #4  
I rate mine highest on the list of what I would own.

Still running my 1975 Stihl 041. Have a new MS361 and it is almost as much fun to run as the old one. Both cut wood very well, run well, have 20" bars, and I have a good Stihl dealer close by.

I've run other brands, and sawn with others that own other brands, and have yet to experience anything that runs better or cuts better, or lasts as long without repair.

Can't say that there are not other brands out there, but Stihl remains in demand, and that wouldn't happen if they didn't run as good as they say. I started with Stihl on a recommendation of a logger, and have been very satisfied.

But, depending on the size and the year, I think there are tempermental Stihl saws that don't run as well as the big pro Stihl saws. All Stihl saws are not created equally. Like all saws, they require a lot of tender care, and for that reason, no one, but me, runs my Stihl saw. NO ONE! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope you find out what is troubling yours.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #5  
I run 2 Huskys and have no problems. The Stihl is a good saw, and it was my second choice. I prefer the husky speed though. I got them rccomened by a Asplund guy and my father has a old 61 which is a animal, and even with its weight I want to steal it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a thought. Clean the air filter, hot soapy water, and run ONLY high test gas and OEM mix oil. Sometimes mine get a little cantankerous and a little washing of the air filter does the trick.

BTW, your chain should NEVER pop off the bar. If it does, you are doing something wrong. Either binding it, or in tightning the chain or binding it then NOT readjusting the chain, or not rotating the bar or filing burrs off the bar.
Yes I have popped mine off, but it was my fault. Not busting your chops, but if you hve done your part, then somthing is wrong with the saw.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #6  
I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss that has cut over 50 cords of firewood in the last 10 weeks. Not a hitch. Once a week I clean out the air cleaner and clean out the chain drive of the oily sawdust to insure that the oiler is working properly. As has already been said, if you are jumping the chain then either the chain tension is not adjusted properly or your bar is worn and needs replacement.

A Husky is a good saw, but Stihl will always be my first choice.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #7  
Hmm, don't understand. Stihl is as good as you can get, with Husqvarna in the same or near same league, followed by Echo. You may wish to have your Stihl check the air/fuel mix and such. I've had a number of chain saws, and favor Stihl with the caveat that the smaller Stihls do NOT do well long term with regular chain oil (e.g., the gallon jugs of Poulan or whatever you can get at Walmart) - use the Stihl oil. My Sears chain saw and my neighbor's Husqvarna do not seem oil sensitive, and larger Stihls seem OK with generic stuff, but the pump/aperture of the medium/smaller Stihls just seems to gum up with regular oil (much less the 20 weight I can get away with in my Sears - which though larger and heavier than my Stihl, can't cut anything better, and is a pain in the butt to start when not used for a month or 2 - yes, I use fuel preservative, clean air filters, yada yada yada). I haven't had near as many hurricane experiences this season as our Florida colleagues (for whom I have great sympathy), but I've had 2 category 1's (when they hit Florida, they packed much more power) and a tropical storm go by my country property, and my chain saws and chipper/shredder have had a workout (as have I - I'm too old for this stuff).

/ Stihl Chain Saws #8  
I've found my Stihl saw to be the most reliable small engine I've ever owned. It's only ran poopy once or twice, my fault, dirty air filter. It can set for months and start within 3 pulls max, usually two pulls.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #9  
I tend to rate the various chainsaws not by manufactuer but by model. My favorite trim saws, 12" or 14" are Stihl. Once into the larger saws, I like some models of Husqvarna and some Stihl. My Echo trim saw is 1/2 the cost of a comparable size Stihl and in my opinion, half the build quality. I frequently cut at various elevations, from sea level to about 6000', The Stihl and Husqvarna never require adjustment, I can not say that about some of the other saws I use. So no, in my opinion, Stihl is not over rated.

/ Stihl Chain Saws #10  
I used to own a mowing and trimming business. I uses only Stihl brand equipment. Belive me, some of the workers I had abused the crap out of my stuff! I sold that business years ago, but still have two of the trimmers; FS106's I believe and an 039 chain saw with a 20" bar. I've maintained them well and they still work better than most anything new I've tried. Easy to start and very powerful!

One quick note, on both the chain saw and the trimmers, I frequently have to clean the spark arrestor screen in the exhaust port or they will clog up. If they begin to clog, you will notice a huge difference in power and they will be hard to start. I'm actually wondering if it would hurt for me to just pitch those little screens??? That would cure 90% of my maintenance with them! Otherwise it's just keep oil in the chain saw, and keep the air filters clean in each. Any thoughts on pitching the spark arrestor screens?