LASIK

/ LASIK #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Have any TBNers had LASIK vision correction surgery? If so, what has your experience been? Cost?

I've worn glasses forever, sometimes I think I was born with glasses on! and am considering getting bifocal contact lenses or having LASIK surgery. Although, having someting permanent like LASIK done to my eyes is a bit disconcerting. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ LASIK #2  
I've not had it and very likely won't. Of all the people I know who have had it only one is truly happy with the result. Admittedly, this is a small sample but enough to convince me it's not for me at this time.

Wearing a less strong prescription (as I know some post Lasik patients are doing) is no plus in my book. Neither is being "able to get by without glasses after the surgery."

To be fair, the people I know who aren't happy are all patients at the same clinic. The one who is happy went elsewhere. The surgeon could make all the difference in the world. I'm just not all that unhappy wearing glasses, I guess.

/ LASIK #3  
I know of two people that have had it done.... one about 5 years ago and another that just had it done this summer. Both were pleased with the procedure, but the person that had it done 5 years ago, died last fall, so I can't ask him about cost. The other friend that had it done this summer, paid about $3000 for the procedure. The doctors experience is most important. Look for recommendations and don't shop for this like you would a tractor. The least expensive clinic might not be the best choice. Get several opinions if you are a candidate for the surgery.

/ LASIK #4  
I had the procedure in June, and it is great. I wore thick glasses from the 4th grade through my retirement, and had it done at age 58. I still need reading glasses, but not wearing regular glasses is worth the price. It cost almost 4 k, but part of that is extra testing because of my age, and shopping not for price but for results. How many procedures performed, etc. I traveled into the next state to get a doctor I felt could best perform it. My buddy went to Canada and had it done for less than half of what I paid, but if you have to make repeat trips for a touch up or exam travel adds up.

/ LASIK #5  
I had LASIK done on both eyes about a year and a half ago, and am thrilled with the results. I've worn glasses or contacts since the 3rd grade, and I was so near sighted that the doctor wasn't sure he could correct it all in one operation, but he did and I see 20/20 now, better than I was ever able to get with corrective lenses. I never knew there was so much detail in the world to see!

My doctor charged by how much correction there was to be made, so mine were at the top of his list. I paid $3,200 for both eyes, which included a second procedure within a year if my vision didn't reach and stay 20/20 (I didn't need it). I needed reading glasses with my contacts before the surgery, and I still need reading glasses now - LASIK doesn't correct Presbyopia, the hardening of the lenses that most people over 40 get.

That was when they had to slice a flap from the top of your eye to do the laser part; now they have a better procedure (IntraLASIK) that is done entirely with a laser and your eye is not cut with a blade at all.

It was the best money I've ever spent on me. If you have a "cafeteria" medical savings plan at work, you can pay for it with tax-free dollars.

My only advice (besides to do it) is to go to a doctor in a big city that has done thousands of them. You don't want to be on your doctor's learning curve. They won't be the cheapest, but you don't want to trust your eyes to the lowest bidder either.

I would do it again in a second. I personally know dozens of friends and family members that have had it done, and don't know of any who had problems or wasn't happy with the results. With the older slice-the-eye procedure, there were a couple of people per million surgeries who got infections that had complications. Your doctor will tell you all about the risks involved and the statistics.

Pete

/ LASIK #6  
I guess my question would be........and this is why I have not done it (besides the cost)...is at 40 + above your eyes continue to change almost every year. So how long will this $3-4000 surgery actually be of that much benefit?

/ LASIK #7  
Mike,

I just passed the 6th anniversary of my LASIK procedure. I was 20/400 in one eye and 20/800 in the other. Wore glasses since 1st grade (needed them before that) and contacts for twenty years. Finally couldn't tolerate them any more and had $5k burning a hole in my pocket, so I had it done by the most highly recommended doctor in Dallas at the time. (He still is - the publisher of Texas Monthly just had his eyes done by the same doctor.)

After a few months at 20/15, my eyesight settled down to 20/20. It's still 20/20, I don't have any halo effect at night, and I can read without reading glasses. It is without a doubt the most positive physical change I could imagine. I'm just glad that we live in an era when such a fantastic procedure is available.

edit: Mike & Jerry, I'm 55 and the fix is still working. I know the cost has gone down in the past 6 years, but I would pay $5k again for 6 years without glasses. My recommendation to you is find the BEST doctor and have the newest procedure. If anyone is interested in my journal I kept through the 3 month pre & post-op process, I'll be happy to send it to you in Word format. Just PM me.

/ LASIK #8  
My daughter (30 yrs old) had it done a couple of weeks ago and is very happy with the results---20-15 in both eyes. Didn't ask about price--she just said it was expensive.
I'm with you, letting someone operate on my eyes is scary.

/ LASIK #9  
I had mine done about 4 years ago, the best elective surgery since I had my vasectomy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I was 20/400 20/500, a day after the surgery I was 20/20 & 20/30. I decided not to get "greedy" and go for an enhancement. My Dr said you need stable vision for at least 4 years before getting the surgery. Mine hasn't changed, but of course being "over the hill" I need reading glasses in dim light. I wore glasses since the second grade, I'd do it again in an instant.

Bud

/ LASIK #10  
Wow! It sure sounds like I'm in the minority here. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif After reading all of the other posts it sounds like the procedure has improved greatly since my friends had it done. I still don't think it's something I'll do but, as I said, I really don't mind wearing glasses. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif