wood stoves

/ wood stoves #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
we are looking to install one. checked with insurance people 50 buck a year rate increase. must be installed by license builder etc and permit pulled. beyond all those factors what brands should we be looking at. around here I have seen lopi, vermont castings lennox to name a few.

what are other happy not happy with as far as brands of wood stoves.
any other info would be great

thanks

/ wood stoves #2  
greenthumb,

I have had Lopi, Vermont Castings and Silent Flame. I would say I have been very happy with all 3.

I have a Lennox furnace/heat pump in my house. Not sure if it applies to their wood stoves, but on my furnace, any problems I've encountered required replacement with OEM Lennox parts. E.g. The electric motors that run the fan in the heat pump as well as the fan in the furnace both went bad after about 10 years. My neighbor runs a heating business and I started with him to get replacement motors. Nothing he could get or find would fit in the Lennox. Apparently, the mounting system or something was unique to Lennox. The motors cost me about $160 each (+ labor) /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. If I could have used aftermarket, they would have been about $50 each.

/ wood stoves #3  
Consollidated Dutchwest is a great stove. I've had one, my father has had two. They were bought out by Vermont Castings several years ago but continue to be produced. I would think any Vermont dealer could get you a Consolidated stove. I currently use a Hearthstone soapstone stove. A little expensive but a beautiful stove if you are planning to put it in a living area. The soapstone really holds and radiates the heat once they are warm. It is a little tougher to burn right as opposed to the Consolidated. We also had a Vermont Defiant when I was growing up - I would stay away from those. I've never seen one (seen many) that wasn't cracked and they produced creosote like crazy.

Make sure your installer hooks it up to it's own flue of adequate size. It is against code to put it on the same flue as your oil burner. Proper flue size will help ensure proper draft.

/ wood stoves #4  
I've had a Lopi Freedom insert for 5 years. Been very happy with it other than the burn time does not last as long as they advertise. Actually, getting enough heat out of the unit to maintain 68 degrees tapers off after about 6-7hrs. I believe the ratting was referring to there being a bed of coals as counting as burn time. Since it's an insert, a blower is necessary to get heat into the room. It would be nice to have a free-standing setup, but the fireplace was already there...

I installed a stainless liner rather than use the existing fireplace flue. This is definitely the way to go, and may be required by law in your jurisdiction. Makes cleaning a snap.

One thing that turned me off from VC is the catalytic converter. I didn't want to replace that every few years.

/ wood stoves #5  
We just installed a Regency fireplace insert. Real happy with it. Had two freestanding regency stoves in a former house and was very happy with them.

Insurance increases take effect if you burn more than three cords of wood per year for our situation.

Egon

/ wood stoves #6  
Cast iron stoves start more slowly, hold heat longer. We like steel stoves for their ability to produce heat quickly. Very happy with a 4 yo Quadrafire and a 20 yo Kent (no longer sold stateside). Quadrafire is an awesomely quick heating stove, and holds an overnight fire better than any other steel stove I have ever seen. Know a few folks with Regency, and am fairly impressed with it too. We have heated with nothing but wood since 1985.

/ wood stoves #7  
I have a bright red Vermont Castings Encore. Seems to work really nice, but will admit that this is it's first winter as it's a new house. I particularly like the swingout covered ash pan.

/ wood stoves #8  
I would check out the Jotul brand stoves also. We use one in our vacation home and have been very pleased. Ours is the Firelight model which is a top loader and we have found that feature to be less messy than some of the front loaders we have used in the past. There is nothing cozier than the radiant heat from a wood stove on a cold winter night.

MarkV

/ wood stoves #9  
I just installed my woodstove at camp. I showed the local building inspector that I followed the manufacturers clearances and he gave me a written letter of compliance for insurance purposes.
I'm sure you could do your own.
-Terry

/ wood stoves #10  
We have a Lopi at the cabin about 10 years, works GREAT, heats well. Holds fire about six hours most of time. Insurance carrier only wanted to see photo of installation no increase in rate.