BX23 - Box Scrapers

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Was wondering what exactly can you use a box scraper for and what can't you do with it. What do they roughly cost?
Anyone's experience.

Are they like a tiller except not as deep..how deep do they go.
Is there a model/size recommended for the BX23

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BX23 - 17 hours

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #2  
A poor man's bull dozer!

Level, move, dig. A box will do it all. If you have a FEL it's a wonderful counter weight.

You can drill postholes with a box, or at least mine won't.

Costs $300 and up. Depending on the brand, size.

With a BX a 48" is the ticket.

You'll find thousands of posts on box blades/box scrapers on TBN.

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #4  
Here is a pic of a 48 inch box scraper on my bx. It is my most used implement. You can see that with the toothbar on the fel and the box on the back, you can clear and level pretty easily.

Attachments

• 572104-captureD1.jpg
    572104-captureD1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 323
   / BX23 - Box Scrapers
How in the HXXX did you get that big stump out..I have a stump that's 1/10 the size, completely dug around..and I gave up on it.

Did you use the pickup?

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #6  
I use a Gannon rollover scraper on my 22. Gives you a push, pull, and tooth option. Very versatile, but very expensive. I use it primarily to maintain my horse arena.

Attachments

• 572177-full.jpg
    572177-full.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 226
   / BX23 - Box Scrapers #7  
Jim,
I had to break it into peices. I had a winch on one leg, tractor on another, and a truck on the third. I would put tension on all three and let it sit overnight. You could hear it creak. Next day I would put on more tension and so on. It took 3 days and it finally split into three and then the tractor could handle(barely) pulling it out of the hole . I had cut a ramp down into it to help in pulling the peices out. It was one that the trackhoe couldn't get becouse of logistics other wise I wouldn't have done it. the trackhoe I used took about 30 seconds to remove a few that size that I had. let's see... 30 seconds on the trackhoe versus 10 days on my BX hmmm...
I did get alot of seat time on the backhoe though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #8  
Rich,
Thats a nice setup. Looks like it would be alot quicked than a boxblade.

/ BX23 - Box Scrapers #9  
Steve, actually it was originally designed for my JD332 cat0 tractor. I liked it so much that I kept it when I sold the JD and added some outboard eyelets to fit the BX cat1 lift arms - you can see them in the earlier pic. It fits perfect. I'm using it presently to excavate for a 25'x36' barn foundation/slab. Attached another pic of the rollover mounted on the BX early in the excavation. I cut the area with the teeth, then use the "in" blade to move the dirt.

Attachments

• 572210-Clearing_Leveling.jpg
    572210-Clearing_Leveling.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 193
   / BX23 - Box Scrapers #10  
Tractor Jim, I have a Bush Hog RBX720. I rented a few others and they worked fine. Mine was pretty expensive but I love it. If there is any way you can afford it, find one that has a scarer lift from the tractor seat. Getting off the tractor to raise and lower teeth gets old REAL fast. It depends on what you are doing but when they are used for scraping / leveling, scraping some more, etc. you'll want to retract the scarers.

If you are rich, they have hydraulic lifts which seem nice. The manual handle will work fine.

Here's a link to Bush Hog brand and the RBX:

Bush Hog